6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 2, 2018 1:33 PM by Paul LaFollette

Reporting instances of "Free Print" jobs due to error

Paul LaFollette Guide

Is there an option to gather a report showing the instances (or frequency, locations, etc.) where "Free Print" jobs occur due to an error with printing the job previously?

Sometimes an error may occur at the after a print job has been released, resulting in the user seeing an option to "Free Print" re-release their print job.  I'd like to be able to get a report of these instances, with the hope of being able to get a better picture of where and when this happens and the frequency (thus possibly finding issues I can resolve).

I don't see that kind of reporting anywhere in Pharos Reports, no option to see these listed in Pharos Administrator/Alerts, no option to filter for them in Queued Jobs or Printed Jobs.  I do not see them listed in any Transactions reports, and not listed in the Deleted/Purged Jobs.

Thanks,

- Paul L.

• Re: Reporting instances of "Free Print" jobs due to error
          Jeff Geller Guide

Hi Paul,

I don't see this data being readily available in the database. the only place I can find reference to a "Free Print" job is in the Alerts Table. As I don't have one in my Table I can't say for certain but it looks like the message column doesn't contain any device information. The "message" column looks to contain the Queue the job was sent to.

SELECT * FROM [pharos].[dbo].[alerts] WHERE MESSAGE LIKE '%free%'

-Jeff Geller

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • Re: Reporting instances of "Free Print" jobs due to error
            Katherine Baynton Ranger

Hi Paul

When a print job fails to release to device for some reason, you should see entries such as the following in the Alerts context in Administrator.  Each of the following can be found with Error Code: 29062, so start by filtering Administrator using this Error Code.

"Error releasing print job: Retrying [1] out of [1] to release job for Owner [kat] to printer [10.0.2.67]"

and:

"Job failed to release on a Printer:  [3 Retries] Could not connect to the printer '10.0.2.36:9100' via RawClient. A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed bec..."

and

"Job failed to release on a Printer:  [3 Retries] Could not connect to the printer '10.0.2.36:515' via LprClient. A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed beca..."

The 'printer' info in each of these is actually the IP address of the device that the job is being sent to, not the name of the device, but may still be partly useful in identifying devices that are experiencing problems.

I hope this helps a bit.

cheers

Katherine

2 of 2 people found this helpful