4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 2, 2018 3:16 PM by Anthony Bennett

Using HP universal print driver with Canon MFP

Anthony Bennett Wayfarer

Weird one here.

We are currently an HP shop but looking to move to Canon MFP's in the near future. We would like to install the Canon's for print only function without having to have clients install a new set of drivers. The plan is to use the current HP universal driver to print to the Canon's and switch everyone to the appropriate driver at a later date more convenient date. For the most part this appears to work except when we are printing a document with any color text or pictures to the black and white Canon. Color text and pictures appear washed out. It appears that the installed Pharos HP drivers do not see all settings from the Canon MFP and that is the culprit. If we print straight to the Canon from the network using the same HP drivers everything prints fine. Is there a way to get Pharos to see the same settings through Pharos that we can see printing straight to the MFP?

Thanks,

Anthony

• Re: Using HP universal print driver with Canon MFP
          Scott Olswold Guide

Anthony,

First, let me assure you that it has nothing to do with the Pharos software interacting with the print file. But our printing model is getting in the way of the HP UPD's behavior. Let me explain.

The HP Universal Printer Driver (HP UPD) does have the ability to print to a Canon imageRUNNER device because HP resells Canon imageRUNNER devices in Managed Print deals where the customer needs the robustness and speed of a copier-based MFD (Canon) vice the printer-based MFD (HP). When this happens, the HP UPD as part of its natural action seeks out the target device and configures itself appropriately. Part of that configuration will be to use the color reproduction functions that the imageRUNNER supports rather than those used by HP, and this is where you're likely getting stung. When used as either a print package deployed to clients or via UNC/RPC connection, the HP driver will be configured as if the target is an HP device, so your color handling options are waaaaayyy off.

The only way you are going to get "Canon color" (which is fantastic, rich, and beautiful) out of the HP UPD is to create an instance that has first been pointed to a color-capable imageRUNNER and updated prior to inclusion in the Uniprint printing workflow.

I hope this helps!

-Scott

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              Anthony Bennett Wayfarer

Scott,

Thanks so much for the reply.

Can you flesh out how we would get the instance you speak of? Are we talking adding a Canon device into the system that is color capable so that Pharos understands that logic, a new print queue or print group? Are we looking at having to install new UniPrint print packages regardless of what we include?

Right now I have a Canon IF400 which is a black and white MFD. So when I send a print job that has color of any kind through Pharos to the device the color portion prints washed out. Again if I print directly to the device using the same driver the color portions print in black and white but are not washed out. So I am not trying to get color but get the color portions to grayscale(I guess that's the correct way to put this) correctly on a black and white Canon. Does that make sense?

I can attach examples if that would be helpful.

Any help you can provide would be most welcome.

Thanks,

Anthony

Scott Olswold Guide

Anthony,

I know that you also reached out to Technical Support for this, but want to flesh it out here for everybody's help.

First, I was partially correct in my earlier statement that the HP UPD supports the Canon imageRUNNER. To be more precise, it is the PostScript HP UPD that supports the Canon imageRUNNER series. This means that your Canon device must be an imageRUNNER and have the "Multi-PDL" board installed (an optional add-on). In a classic configuration (where the device and the driver are connected via a valid port), this auto-configures the driver to either support color (if you happen to have an "iR C" Canon) or not (monochrome-only Canons). If you are using a PCL driver, the device type will always be HP and it will support color mode. You have a Canon imageRUNNER ADVANCE 400iF which supports all that is necessary, but you would have to first point your HP UPD PostScript 3 queue at the Canon iR (using a Standard TCP/IP port) prior to converting it to a Pharos queue to get the desired output quality.

-Scott