14 Replies Latest reply on Mar 15, 2018 12:18 PM by Lisa Washko

Pharos Remote Refresh in V9.0

Lisa Washko Wayfarer

We are upgrading from V7 to V9 today.  The upgrade is going well however I found one small issue that I'm wondering if it's me or a bug in Pharos Remote.  In the older version of Pharos Remote, I used to be able to do an F5 Refresh to see newly queued jobs.  That does not work in V9.  I can go to printed jobs and come back to queued jobs and it will refresh.  I have tried this on a few Pharos Remote installations and it behaves the same way.  Has anyone else seen this?

• Re: Pharos Remote Refresh in V9.0
          Jeff Geller Guide

Hi Lisa,

While I don't recall the old behavior from the v7.x days i do know that the F5 is no longer going to "refresh" the context as we use a Microsoft Management Console for the Admin and Remote applications. You don't need to switch contexts to get the job list to update, there is a button at the top you can press.

Thanks,

Jeff

Yadin Flammer Navigator

As a footnote, Remote is pretty much pointless under V9.  You're much better off using the web portal as it has all the same abilities of Remote, is browser based so no install and works cross platform, and offers insight to users as well as control for Techs.

Lisa Washko Wayfarer

Thanks.  How do I get to the web portal?

Lisa R. Washko

Manager, Student Technology Resource Center

CCSU IT Department

(860)832-1721

Yadin Flammer Navigator

You may want to go through the documentation on the Print Center.  This should get you started Pharos Print Center for Uniprint

Yadin Flammer Navigator

But to answer directly, just as when you hit /uniprint on your server you get the pages with downloads and maps, /myprintcenter is the new portal for account management and whatnot.

Lisa Washko Wayfarer

Actually, Pharos Remote is exactly what we need for our environment.  We have a large computer lab where students are constantly printing and many times we have to resend a job for a student or release it for them for various reasons.  We also release jobs for faculty and staff to override payment.  Students send directly from our computers to release stations.  They then release jobs, using their ID card (which is a debit card), from the stations to the printers.  From what I am reading, Print Center would be used by the student to release their jobs from a browser, rather than the way we have it set up now. That's one extra step for the students that we want to avoid.  Having said that, I am still not sure how I or a student would get to Print Center via a browser? Just in case we might want to use this in the future.  I am not sure why you mean by "just as when you hit /uniprint on your server you get the pages with downloads and maps, /myprintcenter..."

Yadin Flammer Navigator

Resending and releasing by someone with those permissions is part of the admin tools in the print center web.  Again, it's meant to replace Remote, and I've not noticed any functions that are lacking.  We use it for user account management and checking logs/alerts (I'm a bit curious why you have such high need for resend and override, we have 24/7 printing with no such needs).  While users can use the web to release jobs (and re-route to other printers, which you can't do at a station), you can still use release stations for that function, especially if you're using card swipe instead of password login.

When you build print packages for Windows you download them from http://yourserver.yourdomain/uniprint, which also has maps if you have built them.  So for the print center you go to /myprintcenter instead of /uniprint.