1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 8, 2017 12:20 PM by Scott Olswold

Mac Package Queue Naming Question

Daniel Jeffery Newbie

Hello Pharos Community,

We have been running into issues when trying to create custom Mac queue names during the configuration of the Popup, specifically when trying to use spaces between words in a particular queue. For example, we have a queue that is named 11x17_Color_ because when linking the queue to the Popup Package, you cannot have a space in the "queue" address on the server. (AKA the smb://xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)

In the following screencap if you look at the queue name 11x17_Color_, when you actually run the Popup Package Installer, it installs successfully, but the underscores are still included with the actual Print Queue. We have a workaround with this, where we go in and actually just rename the queue on each individual Mac lab machine, though this is time consuming and is not very efficient.

no spaces.PNG

In this following screencap, if you look at the queue name 11x17 Color, when you actually run the Popup Package Installer, it actually fails to install the Popup. I can't seem to find a workaround, but it's possible that I'm not completing the process as it should be completed in order to get spaces in the queue name on installation.

spaces.PNG

I was wondering if anyone has found a workaround with this, because having to rename every individual Mac lab station on campus isn't really a feasible option. We were hoping to have it so that when the package is deployed, it will just be ready for use without any changes to the queue names or anything. In addition to this, these print drivers/popups are available on our website for students to download for use with their personal laptops. Students using Macs will unfortunately receive a cluttered queue name and we would really like for this to be as clean as an experience for all users involved with Pay4Print here at our institution.

Thank you all very much and I look forward to hearing your responses!

-Dan

• Re: Mac Package Queue Naming Question
          Scott Olswold Guide

Dan,

You're missing the "-D" (as in 'description') argument in your command line. As long as you wrap it in double-quotes, you'll be good to go:

lpadmin -p SecurePrint -o printer-is-shared=false -v lpd://192.168.39.143/secureprint -D "Secure Print" -E -P "/Library/Printers/PPDs/Contents/Resources/HP Color LaserJet Pro M252.gz"

That's my example. The "-p" argument cannot contain spaces, even when wrapped in double-quotes. Make sure your "-D" is uppercase, too. Here's a link to the lpadmin man page for 10.9. I believe it is unchanged for later versions.

-Scott