AnsweredAssumed Answered

Pharos/printer wakeup process

Question asked by Anne Pender on Sep 21, 2017
Latest reply on Oct 3, 2017 by Jeff Geller

Some users are finding that it takes Pharos too long (subjective... probably under a minute) to discover that the Xerox MFD that had been asleep is now awake and ready to accept print jobs being released from the associated Omega terminal. Assuming that "make users more patient" is not a viable option, I see these possibilities:

1. Turn off "online state check before printing" for the offending devices (the newest Xeroxes seem more prone to it - I assume they are sleeping more deeply and not responding to checks that previous models did respond to). But this would have the side effect of jobs being "lost" if the printer was actually off or out of order, right? (We have a universal queue, so as long as the job isn't actually released to the printer, they could walk to the next device if this one were really broken.)

2. Don't let the Xeroxes sleep, or limit sleep significantly (9pm to 6am even though most use is in the 8-5 range). Not so eco-friendly (or power bill friendly). I've not found any "sleep more lightly" settings but would be glad to hear of them if they exist.

3. Make the Xerox not claim to be ready (a "warming up please wait" message on the screen?) until it is actually ready and able to respond to the online state check. Doubt this is possible...

4. Make the online state check try more times before it gives up - no idea if this is possible?

5. Customize the "no printer available" message that appears on the Omega to add "if you just woke this printer up, please try again in 30 sec". Possible?

Has anyone else gone down this road and either found a (obvious and accessible by the client without needing to contact IT for job re-release) workaround for jobs being released to really-not-going-to-print devices and being lost, or some hack for options 2-5?

Thanks,

Anne

Outcomes