3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 16, 2017 3:00 PM by Steve Yount

Setting up a printer with limited access

Steve Yount Adventurer

Hello,

We have a department that we want to move into our Uniprint installation, however we will need to set up the Printers so that only people that are in that department can release jobs to them. Is there any way to do this? I was hoping to be able to limit access to the printers or Release Stations to a group, but I'm not seeing the settings for this.

Can anyone help to point me in the right direction to do this, or where I can find this in documentation?

Thanks!

-Steve

• Re: Setting up a printer with limited access
          Paul LaFollette Guide

I was mystified about it too, but someone pointed out to me just a couple items and now it's easy.  Here's how:

1. In Pharos Administrator, Users, Groups, create/insert a Group and place the users in this new group.

2. In Pharos Administrator, System, Access Times, create/insert a new Access Time.  With the newly created Access Time selected, you will see a week long calendar chart displayed.  use your mouse to select and drag on the calendar chart to select the times for which that Access Time will allow printing.

3. In Pharos Administrator, Output Management, Devices, select the desired Device (printer), and in the details about the device select the Access Time settings and for each Group displayed, set which Access Time you want for each Group.

4. Click Change Control to make the settings active.

TIP:  If you want to allow only certain users access to the device and no one else, you'll want to have an Access Time that doesn't allow any times plus an Access Time that allows only the desired times.  That way you can set the "public" group to an Access Time that doesn't allow any times, and then set the desired Group to the Access Time you want for just those specified users.

Be cautious that you don't accidentally block users from printing at times when they should be allowed.  Rather easy to do accidentally.

Cheers,

- Paul L.