10 Replies Latest reply on May 18, 2017 10:46 AM by Yadin Flammer

Updating Per Page Attribute Costs for Job Cost Methods

Greg Sykes Tracker

Hey Everyone,

I have a simple question, hopefully! When you are adding per page attribute costs to a job cost method, is it correct in thinking that the cost of duplex would be the cost of impressions on one piece of paper? So, if Pharos counts impressions, two impressions, duplexed to one piece of paper would be double the cost of one impression to one piece of paper? For instance, one impression on one piece of paper is $.10, the duplex cost would be $.20? Or am I looking at this completely wrong?

Seems like we have a ticket from a user that saying they're getting charged a large amount for for pages that were front and back, where as they should have been charged $.40, they're charged something like $.70 or something of a higher amount that they should be charged (I don't remember the specific amount they were charged, I just know it didn't seem to match up to what we'd assume they should have been charged.)

OK, hopefully I didn't just make a simple question very difficult to answer!

Cheers!

Greg Sykes

• Re: Updating Per Page Attribute Costs for Job Cost Methods
          Greg Sykes Tracker

Ok, I'm going to answer my own question. After testing, I realize that when you put in a cost for duplex printing, it is wanting you to specify the cost of one impression per side, not the piece of paper with both impressions. So, for example, if I set the cost of duplex printing to $.10 and I print out three pages, I'm going to get one sheet of paper that has a page front and back, and a second sheet of paper for the third page. It will cost me a total of $.30. I had mistakenly priced duplex printing at double the cost of one page (assuming it was asking for the total cost of one sheet of front and back printing). So, when the job printed out, it charged $.50 for three pages, instead of $.30.

I might be the only one who ever got confused by that, but I wished it was made a bit clearer in Pharos Admin that the cost specification for duplex printing was talking about per impression and not per sheet of paper.

Only problem we have is that for department printing (third party charging) someone had the bright idea to charge $.085 per impression, and Pharos seems to round up to the nearest cent. So, if I print out 9 pages, it costs me $.77 cents, which is technically overcharging me by $.035 cents for that print job. May sound insignificant, but if you are in a department where you're doing a massive amount of printing, that difference can become pretty large. It's almost like an Office Space moment (for those who have seen the movie) where the half pennies here and there are deposited into a slush fund that winds up being over hundreds of thousands of dollars. I wished Pharos, and the reports, could be as accurate down to the half penny. I understand that normal people don't charge half pennies on things, but I am a bit disappointed that there isn't an easy way to get the exact amount charged if you do put in $.085 per impression for department charging.

- Greg

Katherine Baynton Ranger

Hi Greg

Third Party Charging should still give you the partial cent transaction for multi-page jobs.  It may be that you are seeing the default 2 decimal places in the user interface.

A couple of questions:

- Have you seen the transaction in the Transactions context - what cost shows there?  (Note: the costs should certainly be correct for printing, however there's a chance that they may have been rounded for copy jobs.)

- How are you releasing the jobs?  If you wish to show the third decimal place to users, you can do so in some interfaces by going to the Prompts context in Administrator and changing the 'Currency Format' setting under the Printing section.  The PC Pharos Stations use the regional settings on the local machine to determine how many decimal places to display.

I hope that helps.

Katherine

Greg Sykes Tracker

Hi Katherine,

What do you mean by transaction context? When a user sends a print job to the queue, whether it be secure printing or direct printing, the popup balloon at the bottom of the screen gives you the rounded cost. For instance, the third party cost for a print/copy job is $.085, it shows up as $.09 in the conformation bubble at the bottom of the screen (well, if they're on Windows 7, Windows 10 doesn't seem to give you any balloon.) It shows up rounded on the reports as well. However, I have the attribute cost listed as .085 in the job cost method.

The majority of our print jobs is direct printing. However, the same has applied to secure printing as well, and yes, including copying. The currency format under prompts is currently set at $0.00. Are you saying to change it off of currency format and just set it as a decimal format? Just FYI, for staff/faculty, we use iMFP, mostly, for release stations. We do have a few PC release stations and a couple Omega devices in production.

Cheers,

Greg

Greg Sykes Tracker

OK, so I found where to change the currency format. Thank you, Katherine! I tested it, and it worked. When I send a print job using third party charging, I'm seeing it charging me the $.085 instead of rounding. However, the Pharos reports still seem to be rounding the charges.

Cheers,

Greg

Yadin Flammer Navigator

The reports are rounded because there is no such thing as a fractional cent in the real world.  Since a person can't hand you a fraction of a cent, you can't specify a fraction of a cent when you pay a bill from your bank account, etc. the report gives you something that CAN be charged to the user.

Note that the most confusing thing for people is the FINAL number in any math in Pharos is rounded, as it should be.  The result of this however is if you manually total all the user charges on a report and compare your total to the total shown for those users, they likely will not match if you're using fractional charging in your configurations.  This is because the total on the report is rounded after adding up all the real fractional totals of the users, where as your manual total is totaling pre-rounded amounts.  We charge fractional cents in our area costing of large format devices, and initially this freaked out the accountants until I explained how this worked and showed them the unrounded numbers.

As to your original issue, the reason the charge is per page and not per sheet is the bulk of cost of supply is normally the ink/toner and not the paper.  Therefore if you used 2x the toner and 1x the paper on a duplex page, you want to charge 2x the cost per page.  If this is an issue for you, you can get somewhat creative with multiple queues.  You can set up one that only allows duplex jobs, and one that only allows simplex, and set different per page costing on each one, even though the output is to the same device.

Hope that's helpful,

Yadin

Tom Perry Newbie

Just something funny, after reading the comment about no such thing as a fractional cent in the real world.  I have always wondered if I went to a gas station and said I want exactly one gallon.  How do they give me change when I hand them 2.10 and the price on the pump says 2.099 a gallon.