5 Replies Latest reply on May 4, 2017 1:06 AM by David Harris

Pharos Tracker Presents a Pop Up Error on Windows 10

David Harris Wayfarer

Hello.

We're currently upgrading our client side machines (Lenovo laptops and desktops) to Windows 10 64 bit.

We have noticed that the Pharos tracker then throws up an issue whenever a user 'activates' or 'violates'

a rule specified by policy print, i.e. Is not printing in black or white or is not printing in duplex.

Regardless, instead of the policy print warning pop-up, users get a flashing pop-up message stating

"An unexpected error occurred in the application" and will keep flashing for several minutes before

closing unless u kill the browser32.exe process in Task Manager yourself.

At first we were upgrading Windows 10 on top of Windows 7 but was advised against this.

We now uninstall pharos first - upgrade to Windows 10 - then reinstall the tracker.

We still see the same issue.  Anyone else come across this??

I've attached a video of the issue for everyone to view.

• Re: Pharos Tracker Presents a Pop Up Error on Windows 10
          tcampbell@pharos.com Navigator

Hello David,

Would you please confirm the version of Tracker (Print Scout) that you are using?

Please be aware that Windows 10 support was added to Print Scout version 6.7.0.1302, which was included within Blueprint 5.2 Service Pack 1.

Best regards,

Tim.

David Harris Wayfarer

Hey Tim

We're using Tracker Version - 6.7.0.1332

At first we were upgrading on top of Windows 7 (in place upgrade) but now the tracker is removed and reinstalled

after a client is upgraded to Windows 10.

Note the issue only presents when a print policy window launches (browser32.exe)

The tracker by itself is fine and launches ordinarily for users to be able to manage their print jobs.

The issue sits with the Printing Policy pop-up

tcampbell@pharos.com Navigator

Hello David,

Thank you for the details.  I've observed good behavior when installing / executing PrintScout 6.7.0.1332 on Windows 10 workstations.  In fact, I just ran another test to make sure that policy pop-ups, etc. were operating as expected.

Let me ask a couple more questions about the client's environment to see if we can find root cause.

1.  Was the PrintScout installed via the .exe or the .msi installer?

2.  Is the latest version of Microsoft Silverlight installed on the affected workstation(s)?  (All pop-up windows of PrintScout are Silverlight based.)

3.  In relation to #2 above, have you tried to access other pop-ups of the PrintScout, e.g. the "View waiting print jobs" or "Delegate printing" functions?  Those items are also Silverlight-based, therefore I would expect them to perhaps also generate an error like the policy pop-ups.

Best regards,

Tim.

Jeff Geller Guide

Hi David,

Wassim AboSaleh has a support case open in our system for this as well and i recently had a chance to look at the log files. I will continue to work on the details of the problem with him there but found in the log what is an exception tied to Silverlight.

From the exception it looks like it is a problem with Silverlight on the machine. Verify the version of silverlight on the test machine compared to a users machine and attempt to update Silverlight or remove/reinstall/repair. I use a Windows 10 machine quite fine with no errors.

[2017/04/10 14:03:26 P60C8 T5DC8 e BrowserServer] [ApplicationExternalInterface:Void ReportException(System.Exception)] Exception...
                1) Exception Information
                =============================================
                Exception Type: System.Exception
                Arguments:
                Debugging resource strings are unavailable. Often the key and arguments provide sufficient information to diagnose the problem. See http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=106663&Version=5.1.50901.00&File=mscorlib.dll&Key=Arg_COMException
                StackTrace Information
                =============================================
                  at MS.Internal.XcpImports.CheckHResult(UInt32 hr)
                  at MS.Internal.XcpImports.GetValue(IManagedPeerBase managedPeer, DependencyProperty property)
                  at System.Windows.DependencyObject.GetValueInternal(DependencyProperty dp)
                  at System.Windows.FrameworkElement.GetValueInternal(DependencyProperty dp)
                  at System.Windows.FrameworkElement.get_ActualWidth()
                  at PharosSystems.Silverlight.Library.UI.Controls.EllipsisTextBlock.TruncateWithEllipsis(TruncateStyle style, TextBlock textBlock, Double availableWidth, String ellipsisText, String text)
                  at PharosSystems.Silverlight.Library.UI.Controls.EllipsisTextBlock.SetTruncatedText()
                  at PharosSystems.Silverlight.Library.UI.Controls.EllipsisTextBlock.OnParentSizeChanged(Object sender, SizeChangedEventArgs e)
                  at System.Windows.FrameworkElement.OnSizeChanged(Object sender, SizeChangedEventArgs e)
                  at MS.Internal.JoltHelper.RaiseEvent(IntPtr target, UInt32 eventId, IntPtr coreEventArgs, UInt32 eventArgsTypeIndex)

When you read the stack trace the item at the top is what was the final function that threw the exception.

My 1st suggestion was to verify the version of Silverlight on the test machine he used compared to a machine your seeing this on. Then try to repair Silverlight first. Failing that re-install  SIlverlight.

Could be different Silverlight permissions between the two machines where it works and where it fails.

Regards,

Jeff Geller