10 Replies Latest reply on Apr 20, 2017 3:01 PM by John Siegel

MobilePrint and Power Point

Andrew Wynbissinger Tracker

I have had issues with power point jobs rending as executive page size when the user releases the job. A user has sent me the file they are attempting to print and I was able to duplicate the issue. I went in through the design tab in power point and set the slide size to letter. Still the same result. I was able to a printer utilizing the same driver and it came through as anticipated "letter size". Has anyone else seen this issue?

Thanks,

Andrew

• Re: MobilePrint and Power Point
          Jeff Geller Guide

Hi Andrew,

With said problem file, once it is uploaded to the system what do the Page Attributes show for it in the Pharos Administrator under Job Management > Queued Jobs? Does it show as Executive size or Letter size.

Regards,

Jeff Geller

Pharos Support

Hi Jeff,

It says executive.

-Andrew

Jeff Geller Guide

This means that the job was spooled with this paper size. I would look at how the queue on the client is setup.  Perhaps the user is selecting that paper size when printing?

Note: If your "Job Cost Method" does not include a line item for that paper size it will take on the "Default per page cost" if that is configured, otherwise the Executive page size could be assigned a $0.0 charge.

-Jeff

John Siegel Guide

Hi Jeff,

In our case, no one seems to pay attention to the "paper size" when sending jobs, they just "print", then they expect it to work. In many cases the job is sent in as an A4, but trying to get the university to place the responsibility on the user to adjust the paper size settings to match the available paper in the device is a waste of time. Initially they blamed Pharos for not converting the jobs to available paper size. I pointed out that the "Psychic" spooler was still in development, so until then, the system assumes that whatever size you sent in is what you wanted to print. Then they tried to blame the Xerox printers for not converting the jobs. I pointed out that the device is simply doing what it was asked to do. If you send in a job that requests A4 paper, the printer assumes you wanted A4 paper.

Eventually we followed the path of least resistance and found a way to "correct" the problem at the device.

~John

Hi Jeff,

I have the document set to letter, saved, then uploaded to mobile print. So the correct paper size is selected before it is uploaded. I printed the document through the normal Pharos queue and it printed correctly. Same driver and file. I can force the device to only accept letter but when a student prints with the executive paper size the device will beep and force them to select a tray.

-Andrew

John Siegel Guide

Hi Andrew,

We've had similar problems, but it was asking for A4. In our case it was occurring on a specific model of MFD. I found some device settings that fixed the problem. Is this problem reproducible on all your printer models, or only certain models? We've also seen that type of behavior when someone converts a Powerpoint to a .PDF and then sends it in to print via Mobileprint. It can also corrupt the metadata if the job is sent via a portal or website. We always recommend that the job be downloaded to the desktop and then printed. Just out of curiosity, what type of printers are you using?

Regards,

John