6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 20, 2017 2:36 PM by Jeff Geller

Pharos not seeing printer

Dennis French Newbie

I have a situation that I am not sure what is going on.

We have a Pharos release station and printer in a resident hall activity house. It was working just fine before we upgraded to Uniprint 9.0. After the upgrade we are not able to print to it. At first I thought it was something to do with the server upgrade and such, but I am able to ping the IP address and Host name of the printer, as well as access the web interface for the JetDirect Admin for the HP printer via a web page. I can print test pages from the server directly, but when a job is attempted to be released it indicates the printer is offline or not available, yet the printer is right there and connected and online. Also, from the server in the Pharos Administration application when I attempt to check the state of the printer it fails indicating that it is not able to see the printer. Again, as I stated, I can access the printers web admin interface. This is the only printer I am having issues with. Any thoughts? 

The printer has a assigned IP address that is dedicated to just that printer as we were using that in the Pharos setup, but I have tried to change that to the host name and still nothing is working.

Dennis French

• Re: Pharos not seeing printer
          Jeff Geller Guide

Hi Dennis,

Uniprint now uses SNMP to determine the "State" of the device before sending a job to it. Can you verify that SNMP v1/v2 is enabled on the device?

If it is then you can test the ability to reach the device either using the Pharos Administrator on the server by going to Output management > Devices > [select your device] > on the right hand side click "Run Online State Check".

This is a nice little free SNMP testing tool I keep in my toolbox for SNMP stuff.
          https://www.paessler.com/tools/snmptester

Regards,

Pharos Support

Jeff Geller

Dennis French Newbie

Thanks, I will verify with our network admins that the server can use SNMP to connect to that subnet. I have verified that the device has SNMP v1/v2 enabled.

Dennis French Newbie

Jeff, thanks again for your information. I had our network admins verify that the SNMP was running and had access to the printer subnet location from the server. I also checked the device and it does have SNMP v1/v2 enabled. I can print a test page from the Pharos Uniprint through the Administrator panel, but still when I attempt to determine the state of the printer it fails and can't find it. So, when I try to release a print job I get the message that No suitable printer available: Printer is reporting an offline state.

DF

Jeff Geller Guide

Hi Dennis,

If the Online State Check fails from the Pharos Administrator when using it on the server then we still have some type of SNMP challenge. You can download the tool I mentioned above and use it to remove the Pharos Administrator from the mix of things.

Using the settings like you see in my screen shot but substituting the IP Address of your device for mine (10.1.1.79) you should get a response from the device if SNMP is functional between server and device. The first time I ran a check using the "Read Device Uptime" selection from area #2. Then I selected "Custom OID" and entered a value that Uniprint uses. You see both the responses below on the right side.

If this fails as well then you should ask the network folks to help out a bit more. A packet capture will show the failure but not the reason why.

Let me know what you find.

Regards,

Jeff Geller

Pharos Support