4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 1, 2017 11:18 AM by Ralph Miller

Job failed to release on a Printer:  The LPR command has an empty queue name

Ralph Miller Scout

Over the past few days I have been seeing the title error message come up in my Alerts. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason other than it appears to be randomly happening to my MobilePrint jobs and print jobs seem to be only slightly impacted at the moment. I have a number of other printers in our labs running the popups and using the RAW protocol while my MP printers are on LPR. I don't see these type of error messages from the printers using RAW. I am running Uniprint 9.0 R2 SP4 and MP 2.2 with the recent hot fix.

So...

1. Has anyone else seen this error?
      2. I believe MP can now use RAW. Can I switch from LPR to RAW easily without having to reboot servers?
      3. Any other suggestions?

Ralph Miller

• Re: Job failed to release on a Printer:  The LPR command has an empty queue name
          Scott Olswold Guide

Ralph,

The LPR function has a very specific syntax across the various operating systems upon which it runs:

lpr -S <server hostname or ip address> -P <queue name> <filename>

Back in the day, digitally-enabled MFPs and all single-function printers that supported the LPD (line printer daemon) function required the end-user to know what their queue name (or names; many had several to "filter" the inbound job for a specific processing language or to engage some workflow) was, or the job was rejected by LPD. More recently, a lot of manufacturers have allowed the printer setup to "default" to a specific LPD queue if the inbound LPR stream didn't specify one. I'm still not a big fan of that (I prefer driving the bus instead of engaging cruise control). The best way to wriggle out of that mess is to define a LPD queue name for your devices in Pharos Administrator, rather than leaving it blank. The actual queue name to use will be found in your printer's documentation, but here are a few common ones:

ManufacturerLPD Queue Name(s) - most are case-sensitive
          Hewlett-Packard

raw << used for preformatted code, like PostScript or PCL

text << text files

Xerox (Phaser)

PS << PostScript

HPGL << HP/GL2

PCL << PCL

AUTO <<This is the default

Xerox (WorkCentre)lp
          Canon (imageRUNNER; no imagePASS)lp
          Canon (imageRUNNER or CLC; imagePASS/ColorPASS)

print << prints to the printer by first spooling the inbound file to the hard disk

direct << prints to the printer without using the hard disk

hold << retained on the imagePASS/ColorPASS hard disk for use by EFI Command Workstation

Konica-Minoltaprint <<actually, it can be anything, but this is a good standard to follow, because some bizHubs have EFI controllers
          Ricoh (non-EFI Fiery interface)lp
          Ricoh (EFI Fiery Interface)

print << prints to the printer by first spooling the inbound file to the hard disk

direct << prints to the printer without using the hard disk

hold << retained on the Fiery hard disk for use by EFI Command Workstation

Lexmarkprinter

And yes, MobilePrint 2.2 can be configured to use the Pharos Secure Release Service to release jobs, and those devices can be set to "Raw" (aka Port 9100), taking advantage of that ubiquitous entry point. I hope this helps you (and others) out.

-Scott

1 of 1 people found this helpful