7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 28, 2017 12:06 PM by Jeff Geller

Disable seperator/banner page

Tim Strackbein Adventurer

I'm really hoping someone has some new ideas, because I'm just kind of stumped at this point.

Problem: Windows is sending a blank page at the end documents with an odd number of pages (if you send multiple jobs).  This means if I send 100 copies of a 1 page job, I'll actually get billed for 199 copies.

Reason:  Windows is rounding out the pages by sending a blank page, so if I send a three page job, page 1 of the second copy of the job doesn't show up on what is actually page 4.  However, this means pharos believes it's receiving 4 pages of documents, and charging accordingly.  I've reached out to pharos, and they basically said that because windows is sending 4 pages (even though it's actually a three page document) there's nothing they can do.  They're not wrong; clearly this is not a pharos problem, it's a windows problem.  But I don't even know how start changing how windows sends the job.  I've looked in all of the menus/print management/print properties/etc I can think of, all to no avail.  We're using the canon universal pcl6 driver if that makes a difference, but does anyone have any thoughts on how I can resolve this issue?  It's a somewhat niche error, but at the same time it's starting to become a big accounting problem; we just had a career day here and everyone was printing out a bunch of copies of their 1 page resumes, and getting charged almost double what they should.

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!

• Re: Disable seperator/banner page
          Jeff Geller Guide

Hi Tim,

The Pharos Page Counter has a registry key that can be used to not include blank pages in the page count. The help file has this information.

Page Counter

The Page Counter is a small executable installed with the Print Service, which determines the page count and other attributes of print jobs controlled by Uniprint. Registry entries for the Page Counter are located at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Pharos\Page Counter. However, other entries that affect the Page Counter can be found in the Secure Release Service location HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PharosSystems\PageCounting.

Note: While most Page Counter values under the Pharos\Page Counter can be changed "on the fly" and will immediately picked up (no Print Server restart required); values under the PharosSystems\Pagecountingand the PageStats registry (under Pharos\Page Counter) require a restart of the Secure Release Service to implement the changes.

No Blank Pages

REG_DWORD

If this value is set to 1, the page counter will not include blank pages in the page count for a document. If this value is set to 2, the page counter ignores blank pages at the end of the document.

The above value has a default of 0 and is located in the registry key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Pharos\Page Counter".

Thanks,

Jeff Geller

1 of 1 people found this helpful

Jeff,

You are my hero.  You might want to pass this on to Ed, as it would have been useful information for my ticket (from October of last year, if you want contact me and I can give you incident number).

I'll test this out in dev today.  Will I need to apply the reg hack to all of our servers, or just the principle? 

Thanks again!

Jeff,

I could not find the registry key in the provided location.  However, I did find it under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Pharos\Page Counter.  I'll go ahead and make the changes there and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\PharosSystems and let you know if that fixes the problem.

/edit:  It fixed the problem in dev, but when I went to push to prod it doesn't seem to be working.  There was no appropriate key in our principle server, but I made the change on our main queue server and nothing changed.  I'm going through and touching all of the other servers, but am not seeing the reg key anywhere else.  Will update as I get more info.

/edit2:  Made the change on all of the other print servers (including mobileprint), still no love.  I can find no entry in the principle server for this, which may be part of the issue.  When I look at the job submission, the only other difference I can see between prod and dev is that in dev, pharos is seeing that it's multiple copies of the same job, whereas in dev it's still treating it as one submission.  Thoughts?  We've got a job fair here today, which means a LOT of resume printing, so the sooner I can get this issue resolved, the less my phone is going to ring today.  Thanks!

Jeff Geller Guide

Tim,

Sorry about the delay, some days I'm in the community a lot more than others and it depends on how much email I get and the number of phone calls I have organized for the day. If the key does not exist then you can manually create it. Sounds like the problem is not just with the blank page being printed but more with multiple copies of a job being printed. The number of copies is when a user actually selects more than one copy when printing the file. The setting for the value I mentioned has 2 main values. You should have set the registry key value to 1.

1 = Do not include Blank Pages in the page count.

2 = Do not include blank pages at the end of the document.

-Jeff

Jeff,

Yeah, I caught that, and it worked in dev, but not production.  When I look at the counts in prod,it looks like Pharos is receiving a single copy of the job, instead of properly registering that it's multiple copies of the same job, which is why the 2 setting fixed the issue for now; it prunes all blank pages.  But since a setting of 1 only removes the LAST blank page (and Pharos thinks it's all just one job) it's not helping.

Any idea why Pharos isn't registering the proper submission in production, but it is in development?

Thanks!

Jeff Geller Guide

Hi Tim,

What you wrote is a little backwards. The setting of 1 removes all Blank Pages and 2 removes only the Last Blank Page at the end of the document.

"which is why the 2 setting fixed the issue for now; it prunes all blank pages.  But since a setting of 1 only removes the LAST blank page (and Pharos thinks it's all just one job) it's not helping."

The reason we see what we see is based how the driver is producing the print file. If one environment works and the other doesn't this means there is some driver setting causing the bad behavior of how the print file is getting created. Can you check the Mopier Mode setting on the print queue where the job originates from?

Some additional information: https://community.pharos.com/message/7198#7197

-Jeff

lpadgett Scout

When I refreshed my Xerox printers recently I faced a similar issue with the phaser 3260's generating blank pages.  Jobs would generate 1000's of blank pages before being sent to pharos and subsequently try to bill clients $3,000 or so dollars . Some denied the popup window and, of course, others accepted the charges .  I was using a xerox ps driver; switching to a pcl6 xerox driver saw the same results.  With some testing, a generic (not xerox) ps driver proved to eliminate the issue.  This wasn't a banner page issue but I thought it might help.  I couldn't find any definitive reason why blanks were being generated, but figured it had to do with the printer trying to hide ps/pcl errors in the web software settings. 

-Loyd