1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 19, 2017 7:27 AM by Scott Olswold

Course work Audit prints

Kevin Two Newbie

Hi Pharos Community,

I have encountered this print issue consistently since the time I took over the role of Pharos admin at my University and I unsure how to troubleshoot. I have tried to update the driver for custom popup print queue to no effect. I have attached an example of a failed print job. The actual page count of most Audit prints number somewhere around 30 pages, however, only a few (often 1-4) pages are printed.

• Re: Course work Audit prints
          Scott Olswold Guide

Kevin,

Much can be learned inside a PostScript error. First, "Offending Command" means that the generated PostScript file contains a PostScript command that is either unsupported by the printer, is inappropriate for the event being executed (PostScript is a programming language, so has a very specific syntax and order of operations), or is being used by a corrupted module (either in-memory or present in the PostScript file). "XSHOW" is a command that can be used when rendering type (fonts) and glyph (characters within a font) data. It controls h  o  r  i  z  o  n  t  a  l spacing. It has also been around since PostScript Level 2.

First, this is awesome news, because now we know that the only thing we need to troubleshoot is font-related. There are font-handling operations in the printer driver, and we have the greatest font troubleshooter of them all in the operating system. So, Troubleshooting Fonts in PostScript 101 commences:

1. Change the font. Yup, that simple...usually, unless you are dealing with PDF, and then it all goes out the window unless you have the Standard or Professional editions of Adobe Acrobat or some other high-octane PDF manipulation app. So open that file in MS Word or whatever, Select All, and then change the font to something that is built-in to the printer (you will need to consult your printer documentation or print a font list to figure out what's built in). Times New Roman is a good candidate, as is Courier. And then print (but don't save, unless you Save As to a copy of the document; remember: we're troubleshooting). If it is successful, then you're done. Any "next step" would be related to exorcising that font from the operating system and either replacing it with a new version, or downgrading.
          2. Font Substitution. All PostScript drivers have an option to manage TrueType fonts. For the Hewlett-Packard Universal Printer Driver, this is found in Properties > Advanced > Printing Defaults > Advanced:

The default option, when there's a match between the operating system and printer, is to "Substitute with Device Font." This is OK for most purposes because it makes the size of the PostScript file you're slogging to the printer smaller, but what if you installed Microsoft Office 2016 and it put in a new version of Calibri, and you use characters in that new version, or take advantage of its new character spacing capabilities, and that isn't in the printer's font? Problems. This means that "default" here is probably not your best option if you're having font output problems, so change it to "Download as Soft Font." See if that changes things.
          3. TrueType Download Option. Despite the name, this applies to both TrueType (the Microsoft font technology introduced with Windows 95; it offered scalable type like PostScript fonts did, but didn't require a PostScript interpreter on the printer) and OpenType (a collaborative effort between Adobe Systems and Microsoft; it married the best of TrueType and PostScript fonts). At any rate, if you are downloading the TrueType to the printer (see #2 above), then you may wish to manage exactly how they're downloaded:

There are four options: Automatic, Outline, Bitmap, and Native TrueType. Automatic uses any of the three others based on the licensing (a bit flag in the font that answers "can this font be downloaded?") and the in-built characteristics of the font itself (for example, a lot of freebie fonts don't have great outlines, but have represented bitmaps). It's an OK choice if you have a lot of different fonts to accommodate and don't know what they support. Outline sends the font to the printer as an outline with fill options...so it's treated a little bit like a vector graphic. Bitmap causes the Windows Spooler to rasterize (convert to bitmap) the type before it gets to the printer, causing the printer to treat your text as a picture. Native TrueType requires that the printer have a TrueType rasterizer (consult your documentation) in the PostScript interpreter. Classically, this was called the "Type 42" option. If your printer is an official Adobe interpreter, you are very safe with this option, but if you don't see the "Adobe PostScript" logo anywhere, it's like throwing dice.
          4. Language Level. The Language Level corresponds to the level of interpreter on the printer. Unless the printer is really old (as in, manufactured before 1999), this should be set to "3".

If you choose an earlier version, different behaviors (all unwanted) may present themselves.

I hope that this helps.

-Scott

1 of 1 people found this helpful