2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 9, 2017 1:52 PM by Roberts Laforge

Network Logon for Environments

Roberts Laforge Wayfarer

My library uses SignUp (Uniprint 9.0) to manage the time patrons spend on our public computers.  We have a variety of user groups, most of which use one of two Environments: one for community users, one for everyone else.  Each has a log in and password associated with a local account on our computers (the library is not on the campus domain).  So community users have a "community User" account and students/faculty/staff have a "users" account.  We also have a script which first checks Active Directory and then the internal Pharos database for user accounts thus allowing us to serve people without network credentials.  So basically patrons enter their login information and are presented with one of two computer accounts depending on whether they are community users or affiliated with the University.

While the setup works, one part has always struck me as inefficient.  The two local accounts are identical in every respect including security policies, programs available, etc.  Though community users are only allocated 90-minutes, that value is set in the Pharos Administrator.  There seems to be no logical reason for use to have two Environments.   Can I safely replace them with a single environment and a single computer account?

• Re: Network Logon for Environments
          Steven English Guide

Roberts Laforge,

The time limits are controlled at the user group level within Pharos, and the environment assigned to those groups does not impact the restriction.  Based on what you are describing, I see no functional requirement to maintain the two separate environments.  One of the main reasons that separate environments are configurable within Pharos (unlike competing products) is to enable administrators to control the entire user experience as you mentioned (security policies, programs available, proxies/filtering, desktop magnification/contrast for the vision impaired, etc.).  Since your environments are identical, there is not a need for both.

You should be able to easily switch one to use the other within the user groups, just remember to do the Change Control. If anything misbehaves or winds up being different after all, the switch back to the original configuration via the drop down is just as easy.  Note: There is a chance that the environment is assigned at the computer type level, but since that config seems incongruous with the description of your environment, I did not discuss it.

Pharos Administrator > Users > Groups > Highlight one or more groups in the upper center pane > Change the drop down to the right of Environment in the lower center pane

Regards,

Steven