3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2016 10:44 AM by Scott Olswold

Setting up iMFP with HP SFP's

Adam Hauerwas Newbie

We are looking to buy new, smaller single-function HP printers for use in our computer labs.  We have an existing Pharos UniPrint 9.0 implementation, but have been using OmegaTerminals to do release.  We would like to incorporate that directly into the printers themselves.

We're looking at the HP LaserJet Enterprise M506x or the HP LaserJet Enterprise M605x, and are curious:

- Will either/both of these printers work?  They both have touchscreens...

- Will any USB card reader work if we are using magstripe readers?

- What pre-requisite software has to be loaded on the server?

- Do I understand correctly that we have to load a module into the printer's firmware itself in order to have it communicate with Pharos?

Sorry for the newbie questions, and apologies if this is the wrong forum.

• Re: Setting up iMFP with HP SFP's
          Scott Olswold Guide

Adam,

Right forum!! +2 points!

This document in Community,  Pharos iMFPs for HP (Supported Devices), is maintained to show our latest "supported products" list for HP. And your 506 and 605 are on there, so the first hurdle is out of the way. For magstripe readers, we tend to gravitate towards MagTek. It is the make that our Technical Support people are most familiar with.

The integrated solutions do require server components. For the HP product line, there is a management/application service that is hosted by IIS that the devices all talk to, and this also serves as the go-between for the devices and the Pharos EDI service. To support the single function product line, you would also need to install Microsoft .NET 4.6.1 or newer. And yes, each printer receives a piece of Pharos software (an authentication agent). Further, the device will need to be configured to support the installed software. If you are using HP's Web JetAdmin for device administration, these tasks are very easy to perform against a whole fleet of machines simultaneously.

I hope that this helps. Your Pharos Reseller or Pharos Account Manager can help you with the more finite details of the iMFP solution for HP.

-Scott

Adam Hauerwas Newbie

Scott, thanks for the quick answer and for validating what I thought to be true -- it means we're on the right track.  As I said, we're new to using the HP native touchscreen as a release station, and are beginning work to make it possible.

It doesn't help that some of the documentation / terminology is confusing.  The document in Community shows the HP "supported products", but it's not clear from that list which of the printers have 4-line LED displays (which require releasing all documents in queue) vs. which have touchscreens (that support more robust job release).  It also doesn't help that some of the terminology was created when we were talking about Integrated Multi-Function Printing (iMFP), but now we get more robust iMFP touch-screen functionality on Single Function Printers (SFP's) like the M506x or the M605x!  (And I assume those printers are among those that led to the Pharos Document New Pharos iMFP for HP Single-function Printers?)

So to back up and boil it down:

- We load a management/application service on our Pharos server for the HP devices to talk to the Pharos EDI service;

- We install Microsoft .NET 4.6.1 or newer to support that application service

- We load the authentication agent into the printer itself

- Profit.

Correct where appropriate -- and again, many thanks!

Scott Olswold Guide

Adam,

I always end up at the HP product selection page to see which device has what...you're not alone. And the whole SFP vs. MFP scandal is a marketing cookup to to add $1000 for a $50 part. But that is just my perspective (having spent some formative adult years working for an independent copier/printer reseller). On to your "back up and boil down" section: Your 4-step process is correct. I would add a bit (because I'm a details guy) around determining the card reader technology you want (the kind you use for the current Omega will work; some of the HP devices support a "HIP" reader which fits into a space on the front panel, which is great...no external wires to snag on stuff, and no visible connector for an undergrad to murder), pricing, and so on. It sounds like this is just sliding in to an existing, working, set up, so this is all probably a no-brainer...including it here for the benefit of others who may be embarking on your path and not have some of that in place.

-Scott