7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 12, 2016 10:32 AM by Mike Bate

Pharos Print app on iOS connection problems

Mike Bate Scout

I am running Uniprint 9.0 SP4 and MobilePrint 2.2.  In the past, we have tested the Pharos Print app successfully on both iOS and Android.  Though I have had issues with missing upload buttons in iOS, it has been functional.  The Android app has been working fine.  I started testing the mobile apps again after the SP4/2.2 upgrade and while the Android app works well, the iOS app won't even connect to the server any more.  I can use Safari to connect from the same devices.  Is there an known issue or do we have a configuration problem somewhere?

• Re: Pharos Print app on iOS connection problems
          Jeff Geller Guide

Hi Mike,

Let me know if this link helps.

Uniprint Update for New Apple Certification (Pharos Print app for iOS devices)

Jeff Herald   Nov 3, 2016 10:14 PM  (in response to Steven English

[Edited] I need to make a clarification to what I wrote below.  When we released SP4, it did not include this certificate update.  However, anyone who has ALREADY updated to SP4 will be presented with this update in their Updater Service Feed.  Anyone who has NOT yet applied SP4 will receive this certificate update as part of the SP4 upgrade.  The Print Center component has now been updated to include this certificate update.

-Jeff

bdickens@pharos.com Scout

While there could be more reasons for this to happen this is some of the information I have used in the past to resolve an iOS App failing to connect with the server.

In most cases we have seen this happen it turns out that the server is not negotiating a secure connection with the iOS device. It could be the result of tightening the security too much on the server or it also may just be the certificate they are using is not signed by a Root CA that the iOS device recognizes. The certificate must be from a valid provider as well. Here is a link to a web site that lists the supported root CA's per iOS version.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204132

We also see below that iOS 9 requires a SHA256 Signature hash for the certificates going forward.

http://fieldnotes.conexion.ca/2015/09/ios-9-increases-security-requirements.html

As this next site explains, IIS will try to use a 128-bit cipher and the iOS app appears to require a 256-bit cipher. Enabling TLS 1.2 on the IIS server allowed the connection from iOS app.

http://jackstromberg.com/2013/09/enabling-tls-1-2-on-iis-7-5-for-256-bit-cipher-strength/

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                Mike Bate Scout

Enabling TLS 1.2 did indeed correct this issue.  I am now able to have all iOS clients connect successfully and log in.  Thanks so much for the help.  I would appreciate an answer to this follow up.  Is the iOS app meant to allow uploaded document submissions to the secure queue like the Android client does?  I thought I read somewhere that this was now possible but I do not see an upload button on any of our test devices.

Jeff Geller Guide

Hi Mike,

Unfortunately there is not a way to "upload" a file on iOS from the filesystem. The Browser version of Pharos Print Center on iOS devices will not have an Upload Button.

The mechanism to upload a file/document from a different App on an iOS  device is to use the share option in an App. If it supports the "Open In.." feature then you might be able to then open the file in the Pharos Print App. The problem is not all applications support this type of "Action". I use a free Application called "Documents" and when I select a file I can choose the share option, then I have to select "Open In" which shows the Pharos Print App as an option. With Dropbox on my iOS device I have to first choose the 3 dots to share the file then choose "Export", once the progress bar completes I will see the applications that i can use and our application is listed as one of them.

-Jeff Geller

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                        Mike Bate Scout

Had a quick look at it this morning.  We were only able to get the Adobe app to successfully open a PDF in the Pharos Print app and it made it to the queue successfully.  After that, there wasn't much more we could do with it.  It would preview and we could edit print options (color, copies etc.), but would cannot submit the job to a printer, nor can we change the payment options (cost centers) like we can with the Google app.  I know that we can release the job at an iMFP printer and select a cost center there.

One of my hopes was that we could submit a document from the Google Drive app (non-Google native documents obviously) since our users work with this a lot.  We tried with a PDF, but were not able to see any Share or Open In options.  Perhaps we can open in Adobe then submit that way.  Has anyone found a good method of printing from Google Drive?