2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 22, 2016 10:57 PM by Paul LaFollette

How To - Linux to Windows Queue with Username

Paul LaFollette Guide

Bill Kasper, Our Web people managed to find in their archives a copy of the instructions I had created on How To Connect Linux To Windows Print Queue.  I had delayed posting this with the hopes I'd get the time to update it a bit as I've found a step that works better/faster than how I described it in this document, plus I've also since then learned a lot about what software packages the Linux user will have to have in place in order to make it work.  Sadly, my schedule has kept delaying that update.

So... I've attached the instuctions (it's a Word doc) as is without the updates, as it may help as it is currently.  I will be updating it substantially, but for now I've got to spend 2 to 3 days interviewing potential new hires.  After that, I'll be able to get back on the updating.

NOTE:  This document is worded specifically for use with our (BYU-Idaho) network.  You'll want to change the wording and instructions to meet your needs.

Things not right in these instructions (or... items that could be better):  Step 4 and 5 suggests you enter the Domain name in front of the servername in the path to the smb:// printer...  Don't. and don't hit the "Browse" button, either. If you were doing this on the BYU-Idaho campus, it would be better to simply enter the smb:// field as "abinadi.byui.edu/StudentBW" and then press the "Verify" button.  The Verify button will give you a dialog where you can enter your username, Domain, and password (use the account you want for this printer object).  If you get the username, Domain, and password correct, it will then tell you "Print Share Verified" (This print share is accessible).  At that point, skip Step 7 and continue with Step 8 entering the username this style"  "DOMAIN/username" (without the quotes).

That is the main difference in the steps from what this document says.  In the updated version, I'm planning to include a bunch of information on software packages/dependencies the user may or may not need to have on the system.

This method I have successfully tested this method with on Ubuntu 16.04 and 16.10, Xubuntu, Mint, OpenSUSE LEAP and Tumbleweed, Fedora 24, SolydX, Sparky 4.4, and Red Hat.

I've tried to this process on Ubuntu-Gnome (not the same as 'regular' Ubuntu), but thus far haven't been successful, but I'm not very worried about it.

Hope you find this information helpful.

Thanks,

- Paul L.