3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 1, 2016 9:03 AM by Mark Oliver

Bulk Creation of Guest Accounts

Mark Oliver Adventurer

I will be creating a survey to give to students, and I'd like to entice them to take the survey by offering them free printing ($2.00 each). My university does not used LDAP or Active Directory for print accounts, so I think the only way for me to do this would be to create a large amount (I'm guessing 1000 right now) of Pharos Guest accounts. Is there a way to create these accounts in bulk?

• Re: Bulk Creation of Guest Accounts
          Daniel Johns Tracker

Creating Guest Accounts in advance, rather than when each one is first used, is not a need that we anticipated when designing Uniprint.  Guest Accounts are supposed to be created only by the Print Center; the Pharos Administrator application can create only normal User Accounts, not Guest Accounts.  (Consistent with the expected use of Guest Accounts, the "Guest Account duration" setting is reckoned as starting at the time of account creation.)

What is your reason for wanting to create Guest Accounts rather than normal User Accounts?

bdickens@pharos.com Scout

If you really don't require the automated process that are associated with real Pharos Guest accounts then you could create a user group called "Guest" or even "Survey" then using the Userload executable do an import from a flat file you create with the guest user details. Having the accounts associated with this group would allow you to manually process the users when you need to inactivate the accounts or run reports to determine usage. You can find the import file format and command line switches for the Userload executable in the Pharos Help on your server.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              Mark Oliver Adventurer

Ed from Tech Support walked me through the process of creating an Excel sheet with the necessary data, exporting to CSV, and then mass import into the Users group. Worked like a charm.

1 of 1 people found this helpful