7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 2, 2016 12:37 AM by Paul LaFollette

Problem with an older HP Color printer and Word/Excel 2016

Ralph Miller Scout

I am posting this in hope that maybe someone in the community has seen this and has a fix. I have an older HP color printer in my computer labs, an HP Color LaserJet 5550 DTN printer, that has served me well for a number of years. Unfortunately, with the move to Windows 10 Education Ed.on our lab PCs and the lack of a dedicated driver for it from HP, it is giving me headaches. When a student tries to print a Word or Excel 2016 document with ANY color in it, the document is sent to the printer but the output is just a blank sheet. If they save the Office document as a PDF file however, the output is as it should be with all the color it is supposed to have. I have updated to the latest UPD (HP Universal Print Driver), rolled back to older versions, been through all the property tabs of the printer object on the server, recreated and deployed updated printer install package to client PCs I am working on, all to no avail. I have sworn at it, cajoled it, and am about ready to shoot it but I thought I would ask here first before I pull out what little hair I still have on the top of my head. I am currently running UniPrint 9.0 R2 SP3 on Windows Server 2012 R2. Any suggestions? I do hope to get a new printer to replace this ancient one, but that likely won't happen until next summer. Help!

• Re: Problem with an older HP Color printer and Word/Excel 2016
          Paul LaFollette Guide

Hmmm... I could be wrong, but it sounds like the printer isn't liking the format of the print jobs unless the print job is PDF format.  If that is so, I wonder if the "Personality" setting on the printer is incorrect.  This particular model has a "Personality" setting which can be set to "Auto", PCL, PDF, MIME, or PS.  I'm wondering if it is currently set to "PDF" instead of the factory default setting of "AUTO" which would allow it to automatically switch personalities as needed.  To get to the setting, at the printer enter the printer's menus and go to Configure Device, then go to System Setup and there you should find the Personality setting.

Have you tried a PCL 5 version of the UPD?  I know HP is now moving away from PCL 5 (dang it), but I know from personal experience the PCL 5 driver typically works well with this model, so long as you have the "Color Printing Mode" (if present) and "Device Type" settings in Device Settings set to On and Color.

I also have UniPrint 9.0 R2 SP3 though on Server 2008, but my Mobile Print system is on Server 2012.  So... a lot of similar setup.

Thanks,

- Paul L.

Ralph Miller Scout

Paul, I checked the settings and the Personality setting is at Auto. We us the PostScript drivers for our printers here. Prior to this term, we were on Windows 8.1 and the HP UPD 6.2 and all was fine. We moved to Win 10 and Office 2016 on our lab PCs for the fall and the problem cropped up. I tried different driver versions and am currently using 6.3, which is the latest. I will need to try the PCL driver but that may not work as I know in the past a number of programs used on our lab PCs didn't like the PCL drivers. Worth a try though.

Thanks.

Ralph Miller

Paul LaFollette Guide

Postscript, ay?  This adds a possibility regarding the Postscript level.  Are the Postscript drivers attempting Postscript Level 3?  Unless I'm mistaken, the Color 5550 is only Postscript Level 2 and if it can do Postscript Level 3 it's only an early compatibility version.  ...  but that might not be an issue at all.

What happens if you setup a computer to print directly to the printer using the same drivers but without going through Uniprint?  Does the Word/Excel problem still happen?  If not, that would suggest something happening within Uniprint.  If the problem still happens, then you're looking at either the driver or the printer.

Do you have MobilePrint?

Thanks,

- Paul L.

Ralph Miller Scout

I just tried printing to that printer via USB. I set it up with the same HP UPD. Surprisingly, it printed the color image in a Word 2016 doc correctly unlike the same job sent via the network through the Pharos server. So now it's time to dig in and look at all the settings and see if I missed anything. And we do have MobilePrint. Currently we are on ver. 2.1. And we have not had any color printing issues on that side, even though the color print jobs actually go to the same physical printer.

Ralph Miller

Scott Olswold Guide

Ralph,

On the server side, change the Print Processor of the queue (Properties > Advanced > Print Processor << it's a button near the middle) and change from the "HP*" print processor to WinPrint. Rebuild and redeploy the package. Also, ensure that the "Enable bidirectional..." option remains UNCHECKED on the Ports tab and that any "Auto" setting for Configuration/Device Settings is not automatic.

Your "pinch test" for the printer and driver is not exactly an apples:apples one, as the UPD will automatically configure itself based on the model detected through the USB connection, while the print server's queue won't have that ability.

I hope this helps,

Scott