12 Replies Latest reply on Oct 17, 2016 2:16 PM by John Siegel

Setting Print Limits Per Job

Greg Sykes Tracker

Is there a way to set print limits per job? For instance, let's say that I want to set a limit to where a staff member can only send jobs to a Pharos print queue that is less than 200 pages. Anything 200 pages or more has to go through our Print Shop at our school. Is there way for Pharos to say, "This job has exceeded the allowed amount of pages per document" and to let the staff member know he or she would need to use the print shop for said document?

• Re: Setting Print Limits Per Job
          Steven English Guide

Greg Sykes,

There is a script on the CD designed to deal with large jobs.  You can find it in the path below from the root of the Pharos installer zip.  After you add the script to Pharos Admin (System > Scripts) and modify the page count from 20 to 200, all you would need to is apply it to the PrintJob event of the applicable print server (Pharos Admin > System > Server Configuration > Select desired print server > Plugins).  Remember to issue the change control.

"..\tools\plugins\scripts\PrintJob - Fail Large Jobs.txt"

Regards,

Steven

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            lpadgett Scout

Hey Greg,

I've had a lot of success writing scripts like this with custom functions using the provided scripts as guidance.

By adding functions from the <Notify> namespace you can call a popup that tells clients about any of the job details. Also, you can do load balancing, ex. we had two printers in a major lab.  One was more expensive if it went over the monthly limit so I diverted jobs over a certain page count to the cheaper one. Before that happened though the user got a popup telling them where the job had been pushed to, mind you it was in the same room.  This successfully drove down the expensive printers monthly page count. I like including their user name in the popup also so it comes off as a more personal message.

The scripting language is quite configurable and can issue prompts about double sided printing based on whether jobs are front and back etc. The scripting primer in the help docs is a good place to start.  Having a dev server is best for testing them first.

-Loyd

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              John Siegel Guide

Hi Greg,

Does the script allow for sending a message to the user that their job exceeds the size limit, or does it just cancel the job?

Thanks,

John

lpadgett Scout

John,

The default script doesn't have the popup option built in. You have to write a custom popup function to alert the user that they have been stopped by a job limit.  I have built popup functions for max pages, job redirection, alerting users that their jobs need to be duplexed, incorrect size etc.  When I first started the popup implementation here, alerting this info in popups helped users to be more frugal when sending print jobs. Now we have that scaled back since everyone has gotten used to the popups, but at first it was definitely a learning curve.

Greg Sykes Tracker

Hey John,

There isn't a pop-up, but when the user logs onto the Omega device or iMFP (assuming iMFP, I only tested with an Omega) and tries to print the document, it will give the limit message, whatever message it is that you set it to say. As Loyd said, you'd have to add your own custom script for that to happen, but it will, at some point, let the user know the job cannot be printed.

- Greg