4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 12, 2016 7:50 PM by Paul LaFollette

Printer Package installation error/failure

Paul LaFollette Guide

We are seeing some students who have been away for a bit and have now returned only to find that while they were gone we updated our Uniprint system and consequently updated the printer installation packages.  Their previous installation was old enough it would no longer work.  Instead of going to Uninstall the Pharos components, the users often delete the previously installed printers, then attempt to install the updated package.  This is often encountering an error we haven't found a way to get around.

The updated package fails to install because the previous (and still installed) version is old enough that the updated package fails to replace the previous version and fails to install giving an error (see screen capture in attached jpg).  After the user encounters the error, they come to us asking for help.  We go to Uninstall (as they should have but didn't know) but the uninstall now fails because there are older components still in place on the computer that require uninstalling using the old/previous install package (which no longer exists).  The Uninstaller informs up the old component (popup) needs to be upgrade to version 9 before the Uninstaller can uninstall it.  But... the newer package fails to upgrade the old component.

So... Can't upgrade. Can't downgrade.  Can't uninstall.  Can't install newer version.

Any suggestions?  I could use a good idea.

Thanks,

- Paul L.

• Re: Printer Package installation error/failure
          lpadgett Scout

Hey Paul,

Have you taken a look at the controller log txt file? That file has given me lots of clues in the past about why installations are failing.  It will tell you what versions are being checked against as well as a lot of other helpful information.

-Loyd

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              Paul LaFollette Guide

I asked for it, but one of our student tech has gone into the system and reportedly removed a port, then reran the installation and it worked.

I can only assume he'd gone into the registry and force removed the Pharos Popup port.  I asked them to get me what steps he took... but they haven't (it's sooo hard to get good help these days).

lpadgett Scout

Hey Paul, There is also the option of running DebugView.exe alongside the Pharos uninstaller/installer.  Just double click Debug View and let it go.  I tried it on my test computer and it gave a pretty complete log and included info on firewall / port removal during uninstall. 

I usually batch DbgView.exe in my pharos package installers as a custom module so that it installs silently to the "c:\Program files\Pharos\temp\" folder   This allows me to walk my helpdesk guys or student techs over the phone as how to generate a log.  After which I ask that they email it to me.

Paul LaFollette Guide

Loyd Padgett,

Examining the ControllerLog.txt showed it failed to install the popup component stating it simply "could not be installed on this system".  Running DebugView alongside didn't reveal much more than that. While examining the system, we noticed in the Print Server Properties that the name of the printer the package was trying to install was listed in the list of ports as being assigned to LPT1... however the printer icon was no where to be seen in Devices and Printers, leading us to believe the printer was only partially installed.  This led us to do some more digging and managed to work around the problem.

1. Stop the Print Spooler.

2. Open Command Prompt (Run as Administrator).

3. Run Regedit and navigate to:  Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Printers

4. One of the listed keys (names of printers) is the printer name the package was supposed to install.  Delete that key.

5. Still in Regedit, navigate to: Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Monitors

6. Find and delete the key "Pharos Systems Popup Port Monitor"

7. Exit Regedit, exit Command Prompt

8. Start the Print Spooler

9. Retry the Package install.

Worked for us.  I will upload the log files from the package installer (ControllerLog.txt) and the log from DebugView ("TODDLAPTOP.LOG").

Thanks,

- Paul L.