4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 9, 2016 3:23 PM by Paul LaFollette

I have a managed print contract through HP for my printers and I am looking for a small multifunction device

Michael Bublitz Newbie

I have a managed print contract through HP for my printers and I am looking for a small multifunction device that can sit on a desktop.  The device has to have pharos support and be able to be put on my HP service agreement.  From the list of supported HP devices right now it looks like slim pickens.  Any suggestions?

• Re: I have a managed print contract through HP for my printers and I am looking for a small multifunction device
          Scott Olswold Guide

Mike,

Very small form-factor MFPs are usually relegated to the SOHO (not the cool district in NYC, but Small Office/Home Office) set, and are somewhat mindless (think the classic HP OfficeJet, Brother MFC) or a host of Segment 1 (0-15 pages per minute) tack-ons. However, the HP OfficeJet Enterprise Color MFP X585 supports the Pharos iMFP software for HP and is on many organizations' managed fleet "pick sheets". Now, at roughly 2 feet, cubed, I would say it is more a credenza-top printer rather than a desktop printer, but it's not too big (). It also has very good output quality.

-Scott

• Re: I have a managed print contract through HP for my printers and I am looking for a small multifunction device
              Paul LaFollette Guide

Very good suggestion, Scott.  Might be getting difficult to get that model because the "Officejet X" series has been replaced by the "PageWide" series (which is really just new looks, and improved).  The HP Officejet Enterprise X585 MFP has been replaced by the HP PageWide Enterprise 586 MFP which sports sleeker appearance, some nice feature improvements, and I think a shade smaller (not as bulky) though still kind of "credenza size".

We have an HP PageWide 586 MFP and while we haven't had it long enough to use it a lot, it seems pretty nice.  Should work just fine with Pharos (from what we can see).  Thus far it works just fine with what we are doing.

NOTE:  If your systems use the "FIH" port that has been on the HP Enterprise class multifunction units ... HP has discontinued including the FIH port built in to the units.  The FIH port is now available as a USB attached dongle that you purchase separately.

Thanks,

- Paul L.

Michael Bublitz Newbie

Thanks Scott and Paul,

My HP rep says the HP Pagewide pro 477dw will be supported by Pharos in the next month or so.  This is the model he has shipped us to test but I cant get Pharos to load.  Any truth to this being supported in the next couple of months that you know of?

Paul LaFollette Guide

I do not think the “Pro” series will work with iMFP, and we haven’t tested any proximity or NFC devices with the “Pro” series.  We’ve used them in isolated areas where there were only a few users and didn’t need any cost recovery controls on scans/copies (only for printing).  We use (thus far) stand-alone release stations.

The Enterprise class (I think the 586 lowest model of the Enterprise class) should be compatible (or will be compatible in the future) with proximity/NFC/iMFP setups.  The PageWide Enterprise class units utilize the same type of control panel as the Enterprise class Officejet and LaserJet multifunctions.  For example, the HP Digital Sending Software (“DSS”) product is a workflow management system that integrates with the control panel interface used on the Enterprise class Officejet and LaserJet multifunction devices and it also works with the PageWide Enterprise class multifunctions without any modifications or updates.

Thanks,

- Paul L.