4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 8, 2016 2:05 PM by Stephanie Henninger

Add devices in Bulk, via file?

Niklas Malmström Wayfarer

We are going to add a new country to our Blueprint environment and they have a lot of printers. Is there any way do make a Bulk import of devices to Blueprint?

We are talking about 900-1100 devices and I would rather not have to make them all manually

We are using Blueprint 4.2 HF2

Best regards,

Niklas

• Re: Add devices in Bulk, via file?
          Scott Olswold Guide

Niklas,

Yes, you can! The default installation of Blueprint 5.0 and later includes SiteMonitor, an SNMP-based device utility, as well as an import into Blueprint from SiteMonitor. Here's what you do:

1. On the Analyst, navigate to <drive>:\ProgramData\PharosSystems\Blueprint and open the \SiteMonitor folder.
          2. Open the "Connections.txt" file contained therein into NotePad.
          3. Go to the very bottom (CTRL+END gets you there quickly) of the list.
          4. Enter all of the IP addresses of the devices you want to add to Blueprint.
          5. Save it.
          6. Launch SiteMonitor Administrator (it'll be in the Pharos Systems Site Monitor program group).
          7. Click the "Blueprint Configuration" item in the left panel.
          8. Change the Collection Schedule to something soon.

9. Allow SiteMonitor to complete its task. It will contact every device that is online (and can respond to SNMP GET in less than 3 seconds) and drop an import file into the <drive>:\ProgramData\PharosSystems\Blueprint\SiteMonitor\Imports.
          10. Launch Blueprint Administrator on the Analyst.
          11. Expand the "Integration" group (the bottom one) and choose "File Importer".
          12. Click the "Import File" button in the top toolbar.
          13. Choose "Site Monitor Device Data" in the Data Type drop down and then click the Browse button to navigate to the folder listed in Step 9.
          14. Change the "Files of Type" option in the dialog box to "CSV Files" and select the file that's in there.
          15. Allow the import to commence and complete.

If you do not want to engage this process (I would; it allows information like correct Make/Model, Serial Number, and Total Meter to populate in Blueprint), you can always craft a CSV file on your own, making sure all data is quoted, following the format of the SiteMonitor import file. That process, however, is a little deep for this forum. Please engage your reseller or Pharos sale representative for professional services/consultation.

Thank you,

Scott

Niklas Malmström Wayfarer

Hi Scott, and thanks for the reply.

We are not using Blueprint 5.x, but 4.2 and from what I can see, there is no SiteMonitor for this version, right?

Best regards,

Niklas

Scott Olswold Guide

Niklas,

Ouch. You are correct in that there is no SiteMonitor for Blueprint 4.2 or lower. You would need to build both an "importconfig" file for Blueprint that specified the import type (Device Management) and field mapping for Blueprint, as well as your CSV file for the data. I've attached a base for the importconfig file.

Some info on this file:

1. The column order in the importconfig starts at "0" as the ordinal data position, so "Manufacturer" is the first field.
                  2. The <HowCreated> line is mandatory, and should be kept as a "virtual" column (meaning it isn't in your import file). Its field position will always be +1 of the last field position in your file.
                  3. You don't need to keep the <DeviceMeterRead> section if you don't want to; just delete it from the file. Obtaining that manually for 900+ devices would be a task I'd only give to my least favorite person.

Some info on the file you create for the import:

1. Line 34 indicates the file name expected for the import. Right now, it is filtered to allow any file name that starts with "blueprint-" and ends in ".csv". The "*" in the file name line means that you can put anything in there. Most commonly, that * value is the date in YYYYMMDDHHSS format (so, 201609080925).
                  2. You need one row that is comprised of data headers. These header values can be anything. When I'm building manually, I use my importconfig position numbers to keep me sane.
                  3. All data points must be wrapped in double-quotes, and they must be straight quote marks, not curly/typographer quote marks:

"Hewlett-Packard","LaserJet 9040 Series","aa-bb-cc-dd-ee-ff","ABC12345","192.168.0.100","theprinter.mycompany.com","2016-09-08 05:16:34","23568"
                  4. If you don't have a data point, for example: the MACAddress for the printer, just leave that field blank.
                  5. The "Make" and "Model" fields require appropriate matches within the Blueprint Manufacturer/Model tables in order to import. Use the Models view under "Device Management" in Blueprint Administrator to manage this.
                  6. You must specify the IP Address field. A Device in Blueprint needs a connection.
                  7. The import function for Blueprint will use the following fields (in order, so the first field with data wins) to specify the Device Name for Blueprint: Serial Number, MAC Address, IP Address, Host Name. If you want to use something else as a Device Name (most organizations have a naming standard, so making it match in Blueprint makes life a little easier), add a new line in the <Device> section called <DeviceName> and specify the field position. Note that the Device Name is a unique field in the Blueprint database, so ensure that you aren't pushing in a duplicate.

If you are using some manufacturer's management tool like HP's Web JetAdmin or Xerox CentreWare, you should be able to create a report that will give you this information in the order required, in a readily-exportable format.

I hope that this helps!

-Scott