6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2016 9:12 AM by Yadin Flammer

Upgrading Pharos Administrator on workstation?

Jamie Rhine Wayfarer

Last night, I upgraded our Uniprint 9.0 R2 environment to Service Pack 3. Everything went according to plan, but now I'm wondering how you go about upgrading a separate installation of the Pharos Administrator console? The Updater Service seems to handle the upgrade of Pharos Administrator on the Uniprint server, but I want to upgrade the version on my workstation. Maybe I missed this somewhere, but it doesn't look like there is a separate download available for it.

Thanks for any assistance!

• Re: Upgrading Pharos Administrator on workstation?
          Jeff Herald Guide

On the Pharos Administrator, running on your workstation, you should be able to run the update from the Updater Service context.  Choose your workstation from the list, and it should list what updates are available.  Are you seeing something different?

-Jeff Herald

Pharos Systems

Mike Bate Scout

While upgrading using the Updater feature is a great improvement to Uniprint in general, having a manual upgrade option for the client is actually useful.  For instance, in our environment, we run the Administrator console as a RemoteApp.  There are some additional steps when upgrading RemoteApps that may or may not work as expected with an in-application upgrade.  Is there a manual process for this?

Jamie Rhine Wayfarer

I'm just seeing "No package updates available" when checking from my workstation.  When I choose that machine from the drop-down, it says that it's "Unable to connect to the remote server" (see below).

Thinking that the Updater Service might have to be upgraded first, I downloaded and extracted those new files into the Pharos installation directory on my workstation, but that didn't seem to help.

Admin_error.jpg

Jeff Herald Guide

It says it's having trouble communicating with that computer (mct-074-071690).  Is that your workstation or one of the Uniprint servers?  Are you seeing this when running this FROM your workstation?  Either way, it is having trouble contacting the Updater Service on that computer on TCP port 2350.  It could be that the service isn't running or communication on that port isn't allowed.  If you are running this on your workstation, and that IS your workstation, you'll want to make sure that the service is running on the workstation.

This was designed to work such that if the ports are open properly, you could update any machine running the updater service from any other machine.  Of course, not all networks will allow bi-directional communication from all points on a network to all points (for understandable reasons).  From the looks of the error, it's just having trouble reaching the Updater Service on that machine.

-Jeff

Yadin Flammer Navigator

Also make sure you change the machine to use FQDN.  By default Pharos uses just the machine name so it never works across subnets/suffixes.  You have to click the option on the right to show admin stations to get them to show up in the server configuration, because they're not actually servers but that's where they link up now for this service.