5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 23, 2017 12:21 PM by David Pearson

Page Counting and HP Universal Print Driver

Ricky Johnson Tracker

We are in the swing of things updating print packages and deploying to our campus labs.  I typically update to the latest HP Universal Print Driver (we are nearly exclusive to HP right now) for the Print Queue and the client installation (no custom drivers).  We had no issues with the total counts with version 6.0.0 (even though the copy numbers weren't always right).  We recently upgraded to 6.1.0 (and 6.2.1) PCL6 versions, but we're having major issues so we are rolling back.

Here's the issue:

A student has any document (tested with Acrobat, Word, Chrome web page) and wants to print multiple copies.  So, with my single page to print, and click the Add button and get to 12 copies and hit print.  The system sees the copy count correctly with this version, but it's also counting the total pages as a single document (e.g. 1 page x 12 copies = 12 total pages, Pharos will then do 12 copies of that for 144 pages).  This occurs with version 6.1.0 and 6.2.1 of the PCL6 print driver.  We do not have this issue with the PostScript version, but even in that one, the copy counts don't show correctly (but the printout is correct).

Anyone have any insight to this?

Thanks in advance for any help.  We are sticking with v6.0.0 for right now, but may test more with the PS version.

Ricky

• Re: Page Counting and HP Universal Print Driver
          Ricky Johnson Tracker

Here's an image of the Queued Job on the server (using UPD 6.1.0 PostScript).  This job was a single page Word doc that I requested 5 copies.  We have duplex enabled and set as default as well.  If I uncheck collate, this issue doesn't happen, but each user would need to do that for specific jobs that they don't want it for.

Here's the same document but with UPD 6.1.0 PCL6 with the 5 copies.

Ricky Johnson Tracker

This appears to be resolve now (thanks Richard Post).  We enabled Mopier Mode on the print queue and the client install.  We are now seeing the print jobs coming through correctly (correct sheet, page, and copy counts).

Mike Dorris Scout

What about multiple copies.   Doesn't mopier mode not allow for multiple copies?

Scott Olswold Guide

Mike,

Yes and no. Rather than re-explain it, I'll use somebody else's words:

"I think that that mopier is a portmanteau word derived from "multiple original copy".

With this mode enabled, a printer can receive one copy of a document, and print multiple collated copies.

With this mode disabled, the printer must be sent multiple copies of the print document in order to print multiple collated copies.

To use mopier mode requires that the device has some means of storing the entire print job (the size of which may be many times the size of the printer's standard memory). This usually implies that the device must have an internal hard disk (although a few models with large main memories can mopy relatively small documents by reserving a part of this memory as a RAM disk).

So for most printers (which do not have a hard disk) the option is not relevant, and the printer driver should be made aware of this by the mopier mode setting being disabled (either manually, or through an 'auto-discovery' mechanism)."

-from DansDaduk, 01-12-2016, on the HP Forums

(Me again....) So if your HP driver setting for Mopier Mode is ENABLED, the driver will create one instance of the job data and the printer will interpret the Mopier Mode capability and generate the requested number of copies. If it is DISABLED, the driver will create as many internal copies of the job data as required to satisfy the desired number of copies. This is one of those settings that makes the Universal Printer Driver's use against multiple model and capability types undesirable; if you fix it for one device, you may have just broken it for another.

-Scott

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  David Pearson Wayfarer

Great information about Mopier mode, We had the same issue and reverted back to 6.0.0 because of it.