6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 14, 2016 11:23 AM by Anne Pender

Mac Popup uninstall automation

Anne Pender Wayfarer

Is there a way to automate the uninstall of the Popup client? We are getting ready to upgrade from 8 to 9 and I would like to be able to bundle the removal of 8 in with the installation of 9, so that the clients only have one step to perform. (Ideally, into an item they can chose from our Casper JSS management service). The only instructions I can find online are the manual uninstall that involves checking Popup as the item you are trying to remove.

• Re: Mac Popup uninstall automation
          Steven English Guide

Anne Pender,

Please see the following community post.  As noted, make sure you do not run it on any of your servers.  It is designed for clients only - specifically Uniprint if I recall correctly.  If using SignUp, you may/will probably need to reinstall it.

Re: Client Silent Uninstall?

Regards,

Steven

Anne Pender Wayfarer

Thanks Steven but that only addresses Windows. I need a solution for the Mac side.

-Anne

lpadgett Scout

Hey Anne,

Take a look at /Library/Application Support/Pharos/Popup.app/Contents/Resources/Remove.sh - the uninstall is built into the installer package so it just paves over top of whatever popup version you have running.   My Mac SA builds installers with Casper from the basic pharos upgrade .app without running any kind of removal script.  We have everything for faculty and staff managed by Self Service so that they install the print drivers and pharos first and then select the print mapping they want to use.  This process has worked great for keeping the popup client updated to the newest version, as vers. 9+ is more stable running with 8.4 in many cases such as <remember last answers> etc.  (You would want to run the plist update .sh script for remembering available cost centers if you utilyze that feature in uniprint)

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      Anne Pender Wayfarer

Thanks Loyd - glad to hear from you as well that a separate uninstall may not actually be needed. Also very interested to hear your experiences with which versions to use together, as it has been a really long time since we updated Pharos (obviously, as we are on 8.1!) and everybody who was involved on the client side then has moved on.

Yadin Flammer Navigator

Why would this be needed?  I've never seen an issue with upgrading in place without removal (other than replacing a plist at one point in the past which we fixed by putting in a removal in the custom script).  That you are asking however now concerns me as we're about ready to roll out updates from 8.4 to 9.0.6 and no issues were anticipated.

That said, if you're using a management system just write a short script to kill Popup and Notify and then delete them and the plist.  I haven't seen anything about command line switches for the Uninstaller.app, but in all honesty when I have used it in the past I found it pretty much just only removes the apps and not the plist anyway so it's not doing much.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      Anne Pender Wayfarer

Up to this point we've had a VAR building Mac Pharos installer packages for us, and I am new to managing the Mac side of this - the VAR said to uninstall the old before installing the new, so I was going on that. If writing over tends to work fine, I'm glad to hear that. I do not have as good a sense of how all the pieces tie together as I would like, but unfortunately now is not the time when I can stop and learn.