5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 6, 2016 4:36 AM by Nic Meadows

Uniprint Batch load and "Active" field

Jim Conroy Adventurer

I am looking at using the the "active" filed in the Pharos user record to disable users printing when then no longer meet the legibility requirements.

i.e. a student who drops all courses or who is deregistered, remove their print capabilities.

Of course the batch load with the format

<last name>,<first name>,<logon id>,<billing option>,<group>,<password>,<access level>,<purse;action;amount;purse;action;amount;purse;action;amount> OR <credit>,<address>,<phone>,<comment>,<rate schedule> ,<card ID>,<middle initial>,<alias>,<email>,<custom1>,<custom2>,<active>

can do this but the "active" field is field 19 (that's a lot of commas)

Is there another way to set the active field?

Are there a better way to "suspend" printing access?

This is on Pharos 9.0.

Thanks

Jim

• Re: Uniprint Batch load and "Active" field
          Chris Axtell Navigator

Hi Jim,

It does seem like a lot of commas; however, in most cases you're going to develop an automated script (similar to discussions in Add Card ID to Existing Pharos Users, and Mag Stripe Login Question) that will output the necessary CSV file with the correct formatting and place it in a path that is accessible to the Pharos batch load tool. The Pharos userload.exe tool is then scheduled to run at a set time that updates the user records as needed.

We have a nightly provisioning process that creates/updates user accounts within Pharos and one of the things it does is sets the active field as appropriate based on if the account is active or not.

Good luck,

Chris

Jim Conroy Adventurer

Thanks Chris,

We have been doing exactly this using a CSV like this. 

,,aallio,Advance,domain users,,User,1;2;9.75;2;0;0.00;3;0;0.00,,,,,0000000002868396,

Add user in the domain users group, credit purse 1 and set the CardID

I was hoping for something a bit more elegant.

Jim

Chris Axtell Navigator

Hi Jim,

A scripted solution is "elegant." It's the manual processes that are inelegant. Unfortunately I haven't found any other means to automate user account provisioning besides either using the userload.exe tool, or scheduled tasks/scripts in the SQL database. Both of which we use. If you find another option please share.

Have a great day,

Chris

Nic Meadows Ranger

Hi Jim,

I'm fairly sure that you don't need all the fields populated to enable/disable a user. From memory I think you only need the userlogon, access level and active field, but you will need all the commas!

We've used VBscripts in the past that you just pass the username and active flag to as parameters which updates the user record directly in SQL after reading the SQL connection info from the Pharos registry settings. This required that the script was run on the same servers as the Pharos DB service. You could also do the same using Powershell.

I've had a look for the script, but can't find it. If it turns up I'll post it up.

Regards

Nic

Daniel Johns Tracker

There's another option that might or might not be suitable for you, depending on how you keep your user information up to date.  If the batch loader's operation is to "Synchronize users" (i.e. insert users and update existing users from the same source), then there is a setting for what to do with existing users in the Uniprint system that are not in that source; and one of the options is to deactivate such users.  If you are regularly loading users from another system that provides a list of eligible users, this option could be what you want.