7 Replies Latest reply on May 25, 2016 2:07 PM by Paul LaFollette

Pre-SP3 Update, can't update all Administrator and Updater instances

Paul LaFollette Guide

I'm trying to prepare my systems for the Uniprint 9.0 R2 SP3 update and am going through the process of updating the Updater instances and the Administrator instances (as per the Pre-SP3 steps)... and though I've successfully updated the updater and the administrator on my two Uniprint servers, two workstations and my Print Center server are "Unable to connect to the remote server" and I cannot find why.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

- Paul L.

• Re: Pre-SP3 Update, can't update all Administrator and Updater instances
          Rojaa Matlakunta Navigator

Hi Paul,

Please click on "Refresh" action on Updater Service Context.

If "Refresh" does not solve the problem, check the state of the Updater Service (on the server mentioned in the error dialog).  If the service is stopped for some reason, restarting the Updater Service should solve the problem. 

Hope this helps,

Kind Regards,

Rojaa

Paul LaFollette Guide

Refresh doesn't correct it, and the Updater Service is running (and is the updated version) on the servers that successfully updated ... but on the systems that will not update, the Updater Service tries to start but stops... Which 'inspired' me to look in the Event Viewer, System logs which I found:

Service cannot be started. System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path 'C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\nuget'.

at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)

at System.IO.FileSystemEnumerableIterator`1.CommonInit()

at System.IO.FileSystemEnumerableIterator`1..ctor(String path, String originalUserPath, String searchPattern, SearchOption searchOption, SearchResultHandler`1 resultHandler, Boolean checkHost)

at System.IO.Directory.GetDirectories(String path)

at PharosSystems.Updater.Core.Repositories.ServerPackageRepository.PurgeCache()

at PharosSystems.Updater.Server.Service.OnStart(String[] args)

at (Object , String[] )

at A.CK.B(Object A, String[] B)

at PharosSystems.Updater.Service.Service.OnStart(String[] args)

at System.ServiceProcess.ServiceBase.ServiceQueuedMainCallback(Object state)

The weird thing is, as far as I know there has never been a folder on the system named "C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\nuget", but what do I know?  We're talking about how Windows (a Microsoft "product") handles System level temp files.

Should mention, Windows 10 for the two workstations, Server 2012 R2 for the Print Center server.

Thanks,

- Paul L.

Katherine Baynton Ranger

Hi Paul

The C:\windows\temp\nuget folder is inherited with the use of Nuget for handling package downloads.  The folder is created by Nuget for temporary files, the packages are initially downloaded into that location by Nuget and then they are unpacked to the Updater's \ProgramData\... location. 

Can I suggest a temporary workaround to try?  Could you please manually create this folder on one of the workstations and see if this allows the Updater Service to start and allows Nuget to use the location for downloads.  We have not seen this issue in-house with either of the operating systems you mentioned, but will investigate this further.

Thanks

Katherine

Katherine Baynton Ranger

Also, just to clarify - on the workstations/server where the updater service won't start - those have not yet been updated, correct?  Could you please advise what version those instances are running? Thanks. Katherine

Paul LaFollette Guide

Katherine Baynton

I added that folder to one of the workstations, after which the updater successfully started and stayed running and that workstation has now updated the Administrator.   The other workstation has also updated now, but I have no idea why it had refused to update for a while.

All that's left now (to finish the Pre-SP3 steps) is to update my Print Center system's Administrator.  The Print Center system's Pharos Administrator is version 9.0.8959.157 R2, but it's lists in the "Installed Packages" Administrator version 9.0.8959.223 (see attached jpeg).

I'll be communicating with Jeff Herald about the Print Center system as I suspect it's failure to update to be related to something else.   I'll flag your suggestion to create the c:\windows\temp\nuget folder as a Correct Answer as that seemed to solve the issue for the workstation I was most troubled with.

Thanks,

- Paul L.

Jeff Herald Guide

I just sent a message to you, Paul.  I can help.  If you don't already have a Support Ticket open, please respond to my email to you.  Thanks.

-Jeff Herald