7 Replies Latest reply on May 5, 2016 10:59 PM by Steven English

Uninstall Old Pharos Packages using SCCM

Ali Alhobabai Wayfarer

Hello,

Here is my situation, we are upgrading from 8.3 to 9.0 and we would like to uninstall the previous Pharos Packages from the lab computers and install the new 9.0 packages. So, my question is: Is there a way to uninstall the old package remotely using SCCM? If yes, would you please give me or show me insturctions?

Thanks

• Re: Uninstall Old Pharos Packages using SCCM
          David Pearson Wayfarer

Last summer we went from Pharos 8 to 9 and had the same problem. Pharos 8 printer packages do not have a command line uninstall. We acquired some scripts written by Jeff Geller of Pharos that removed Pharos 8 printers.

We ultimately used PowerShell Remoting to run the scripts on every computer and report back when it had removed the old printers, then we deployed the new printers with SCCM. Which was more manual than I like as we did it lab by lab.

If doing it again, I would write a script to run the Pharos uninstall scripts, verify removal of the old printers, then run the new printer installs, all as an SCCM deployment.

There were a couple of instances where the scripts given to us by Pharos were unsuccessful in removing printers, which i think was because those particular computers had issues, but for the most part they were effective.

I couldn't find a link to the scripts on the community site, but i did find a link to the same scripts we are using at this site

https://tech.rochester.edu/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Remove-Popups.zip

Steven English Guide

Ali Alhobabai & David Pearson,

Be aware that those scripts are a bit indiscriminate in what they remove.  In short, do not test on a machine that has any other Pharos components installed, or be prepared to reinstall (and possibly reconfigure) those components.  The scripts do effectively remove the popups, but they appear to be designed for machines which only have Pharos popups and there are no mechanisms in place to protect you from affecting other Pharos components that may also reside on the system.

Here is the original post (the Pharos link has since expired been renewed):

Client Silent Uninstall?

Presuming you plan to push out the new print packages once the old are removed (and have the ability to do so), you could always create a package in Pharos Administrator that does not include any queues, push that out, and then you would have a 9.x client with the uninstall switch in place for easy removal and an automated task that will continue to work the next time you want to remove the client.   A package without any queues attached will simply update the Pharos Popup/Notify software and leave the existing queues intact (no adjustments).

Regards,

Steven

Jeff Geller Guide

That is correct that they do not target the registry keys exclusive to the Popup Client itself so running the BAT file on a server will not be a fun afternoon.

I can work on updating them by adding some logic so to not remove things if run on a machine with Pharos Server components. I updated the link in the original posting again and added a BIG note to not run it on a machine with Uniprint Server components.

-Jeff

Ali Alhobabai Wayfarer

Thank You to all. We will read everything carefully and try it and then get back to you.

Katherine Baynton Ranger

Is there a particular reason you would rather uninstall the packages than simply upgrade them following the upgrade?  You don't actually need to upgrade them because the server will be backward compatible, but simply running a new package on the workstations will upgrade the existing popup client when you need to add a new package to the workstation.  (Once you upgrade the server, you need to just rebuild the existing packages in the Packages context.)

David Pearson Wayfarer

I don't know about the original posters situation, but in our situation we brought up Pharos 9 on new infrastructure configured differently that what we had previously and migrated across.

It is nice to know when we move to the next version of Pharos we can just deploy a package without queues to update the components.

Steven English Guide

Katherine Baynton,

I have seen sites desire to re-architect their deployment without renaming the existing queues that the have in place.  In situations like this, if the automatic updater is involved the registry keys for that printer under Popup Client must be removed or the auto updater will reinstall those printers.  It seems though that a number of administrators prefer to remove and install fresh even though there is rarely ever a positive impact realized when compared to simply upgrading them in place (other then feeling like the job was done thoroughly and the system is "clean").

I agree with you that there is not really a need to uninstall them as the new package should lay down nicely right on top (barring that bug back in 8.1 I think that affected the popup questions).  From a best practice standpoint, even though I agree that that they should be compatible - and that they have been reliably forward/backward compatible- I still always counsel that the popups should be upgraded the next time machines are imaged.  It doesn't have to be immediate, but sooner rather than later is preferred (6 months or so should be plenty of time).

Regards,

Steven