9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 14, 2016 3:18 PM by wendell hill

Pharos Packages & SCCM

Greg Sykes Tracker

Our school uses SCCM to push out software installation to both employee, and student computers (labs.) We have not been successful using SCCM to push out Pharos package installers. It appears that everything goes through the motions as if the package installed successfully, but upon further investigation, we find that the package never installs.
      I was told that if the package installers were in the form of a Microsoft Installer File (MSI) that it would probably play a bit nicer with SCCM. Does anyone have any idea how we can get the Pharos packages to install using SCCM? We are currently on Uniprint, version 9.0.8467.36.

• Re: Pharos Packages & SCCM
          Scott Olswold Guide

Greg,

What file are you attaching to the package? In general, yes, SCCM likes to use MSI, but I would suggest (highly) that you not resort to a snapshot-based MSI tool. I know that organizations using SCCM to deploy our Blueprint Tracker (which is also "exe" based) wrap it in a .vbs script. The Community post Deploy Printer Packages via GPO UniPrint 8.4 has a good script around this, and another (albeit brief) post from a user deploying using SCCM 2012 at Print Package Deployment w/SCCM .

I hope this helps,

Scott

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              Greg Sykes Tracker

Hi Scott!

Not using any other file wrapper with it. Just trying to send it on as is (the .exe file that Pharos creates when you create a Pharos pacakge for client computers.) I'm not really up to speed on using SCCM. A couple of our system admins here know a little bit of using it, but I haven't really used it much myself.

Greg

David Pearson Wayfarer

We have been successful using SCCM to deploy our Pharos packages.

The installation command line we use is "PackageName_for_Lte.exe" -quiet

and the detection method we use is the Registry setting: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Pharos\Installed Packages\<Package Name>\Checksum

The checksum value changes with each rebuild of a package. So if we change a package and need to redeploy it, we match up the detection method checksum with what the new package has and redeploy. We set the Pharos updater to only check every 365 days, as we also use Deep Freeze and don't want packages updating on local computers until we tell them to.

The packages do not have the actual install files in them, they appear to go to the Pharos server and download the appropriate package for the computers architecture, so it could be your problem is related to the computers not able to download the actual install files from your pharos server? The actual install files are named like "PackageName_for_x64.exe" for example.

You could probably grab those from your server at locations like http://servername/uniprint/PackageName_for_x64.exe and deploy those.

Tim Strackbein Adventurer

Greg,

I just noticed this comment, we're using SCCM to push the Pharos installations as well.  I'm not in charge of the SCCM itself, but I create the drivers in pharos, and provide them much like David Pearson was discussing.

We've just created a local webpage that has links to all of the specific drivers, and so I just let the SCCM admin know what device needs to go to what computer, so I know this can be done.  If you're still having issues, let me know and I can talk to the SCCM admin to find out what their process is, and if there are any foibles they had to overcome.

Greg Sykes Tracker

Hey Tim,

Yes! Please talk to your SCCM Admin and let me know! We have still been unsuccessful in getting the Pharos packages pushed out to computers. If he or she can provide you with a step by step instruction that you can pass on to me, that would be great!

Greg

I've reached out to them, I'll let you know what I hear back.

Greg Sykes Tracker

Thank you so much Tim! Looking forward to hearing back! If we can this thing working with SCCM, that will save me A LOT of work (and foot travel!)

Happy to do it.  Our SCCM admin is out of the office, but she said she'd write up a how to with screenshots and stuff as soon as she's back in.

wendell hill Wayfarer

We have been successful deploying Pharos Packages with SCCM. We call the package file (downloaded from pharos site) from a bat file that also rights a registry key entry.

1. Run Pharos Printer package.  Make this printer the default printer selected.

Run regedit, and navigate to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows

1. For the Device value, make note of the Value Data, as it will be needed later.
                                    2. <PRINTER>,winspool,Ne04:

1. Create a Setup.bat file in the same folder with the following contents:

@Echo off

SET PRINTERPACKAGE=SomePackage

SET REGISTRY_VALUE= SomeValue winspool,Ne04:"

"%PRINTERPACKAGE%.exe" -quiet

rd "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Pharos" /s /q

reg load HKU\TempHive "c:\documents and settings\default user\ntuser.dat"

reg add "HKEY_USERS\TempHive\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows" /v Device /d     "%REGISTRY_VALUE%” /t REG_SZ /f

reg unload HKU\TempHive

1. EX.

"SomePacakge.exe" -quiet

rd "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Pharos" /s /q

reg load HKU\TempHive "c:\documents and settings\default user\ntuser.dat"

reg add "HKEY_USERS\TempHive\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows" /v Device /d "SomeValue winspool,Ne04:" /t REG_SZ /f

reg unload HKU\TempHive