10 Replies Latest reply on May 10, 2016 8:05 PM by Paul LaFollette

HP Pagewide XL

Yadin Flammer Navigator

Has anyone per chance gotten their hands on any of the new HP Pagewide devices?  Particularly the monster XL systems?  We're on track to get an XL 5000 and are trying to anticipate how to use it with Pharos.  We have Argos trying to sell us their solution claiming they are the only thing that works with these new devices, but I have doubts about that.  We expect printing will work fine with Uniprint, but we've never dealt with tracking copier functions before and this beast is a 40" copy machine apparently since it's print and scan and copy in table format.  I'm also not clear if we can just plug in some Pharos iMFP module to this thing for Uniprint or if we need Off-The_Glass first.

Any experience or info would be great!

Thanks!

Yadin

• Re: HP Pagewide XL
          Nic Meadows Pioneer

Yadin, the Pharos uniprint Solution will correctly page count any print jobs that are submitted to the page wide devices as they use make use of the HP UPD (PCL5,PCL6 or PS) I would recommend PCL5 or PS not PCL6. The Pharos HP iMFP client currently only supports the x585 page wide devices, but there is a new HP IMFP client due for release shortly that may add support for the other page wide devices. Maybe John Stewart can shed some light on that or the development timeline for adding support for the other pagewide devices?

We've tested the HP x585 with Pharos and it works well for us for printing/copying and scanning.

If you've not got any devices on your system tracking copying then yes you'll need Off The Glass licences to track copying, although you may be able to upgrade to the Uniprint Xtra licence which has both printing and copying (Check with your Pharos reseller)

John Stewart Guide

There are 3 flavors of PageWide devices, Enterprise, Pro and XL (or Monster according to Yadin).

• The Enterprise devices are supported now.
              • The Pro devices may be supported in the future.  We are waiting on some technology from HP on these and then need to do some development and testing.  Assuming the user experience is acceptable we plan to add support for the Pro devices.  Just be aware that the Pro devices are quite different from the Enterprise devices.
              • The XL (Monster) devices do not support OXPd and thus do not support any embedded solutions.  We won't be able to support them.

But I gotta say, those XL (Monster) machines are way cool (to a printing geek).  I'd love to have one in the lab.  It is stationary head PageWide technology printing 14 PPM "D" sized documents.  In color.  In high resolution.  With chemically drying ink. Here's wishing that they did support embedded solutions so I'd have a reason to acquire one and tinker.

Yadin Flammer Navigator

*hands John a drool rag*  Yeah, exactly 

So that's a bummer on the copier aspect of the XL, and looks like the Foreign Interface Harness isn't supported on them either so that's out as an option as well?  And from what I can see there is no internal account management like some copiers have where you can import users and pin codes to identify who did the copying, which means Argos can't do anything with it either since they just read log files.  Looks like a bust unless someone has a wild idea 

Paul LaFollette Guide

I was visiting HP today and they said the FIH is not on the 400 series, but present on the 500 series... but I don't have confirmation.

Thanks

- Paul L.

Yadin Flammer Navigator

When you say 400 and 500, you mean the Pro or Ent versions?  Or did you drop a zero?  The XL are 4000 and 5000.

John Stewart Guide

If they do have an FIH then we could connect a PS200.  But the info coming over the FIH is pretty limited.  We only get basic copy information and large or small paper size.  Very limited in what we could accomplish.

Nic Meadows Pioneer

The problem with FIH is that it counts both copy and print, so hooking up an Omega PS200 is great to control the copying with limited scope for pricing, but whenever you release a print job, you get charged for the job when its released from the server and then charged again as the job is actually printed on the device. If you log off, this disables the device and the print job is held on the device until the next unfortunate soul arrives, logs onto to do copying which enables the device and any unprinted jobs are released, charging them to the currently logged on user.

In my honest opinion HP haven't thought about the FIH in a looonnng time and its only included as part of the legacy compatibility. In an ideal world they'd revisit it so that the pulses for printing could be turned off and the pricing for different paper sizes and colour wasn't just multiples of the click.

Before the FIH and in another life we'd use to hard wire control boxes (not Omegas as it predates those) directly into registration clutches, paper sensors and the like to enable/disable the device and get billing pulses from them. They wouldn't let you do it now....

Scott Olswold Guide

Yadin,

It's very sad, from an HP standpoint, to see such an incredible production beast functionally support *zero* in terms of cost-recovery mechanisms. Outside of the college cost-recovery space, there's an entire cottage industry that has sprung up around the AEC (Architectural/Engineering/Construction) space to assign cost and project codes to work done on wide- and grand-format multifunction systems (ask Xerox and Oce). They do offer a "Job Summary" export, but that requires the SmartStream software, and so nods to the printing workflow, and not the copy/scan workflow. Sigh.

Scott