9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 5, 2016 11:23 AM by gschwartz

Pharos error -  cannot start user interface

gschwartz Tracker

Is anyone familiar with Pharos error 29100, "Cannot start user interface"?  (Running Uniprint 8.4.)  The IT dept here contacted me because they were getting weird attempts at connections through Pharos on two different occasions overnight resulting in email alerts, and on both occasions, Pharos Administrator showed a 29100 error the next day.

It says it's a Popup Server error, but that's all I can see about it.  Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Greg

EDIT: Those errors may be unrelated to whatever happened overnight.  It seems we also had a bunch of those errors back in January and February.  Still not sure what causes them though.

• Re: Pharos error -  cannot start user interface
          Daniel Johns Tracker

The error code 29100 is a generic one for assorted errors generated by the Popup Client.  The specific message "Cannot start user interface" is produced by some older versions of the Popup Client when an error prevents it from displaying the dialog box that asks the user for print job details.  However, I believe that the message was replaced (along with a change in the process for launching this dialog) between Uniprint 8.2 and Uniprint 8.3.  I suspect you'll find that the relevant client computer hasn't had its Popup Client updated since you upgraded to Uniprint 8.4.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              gschwartz Tracker

Daniel Johns thanks for the info!  I was under the impression that the popup client gets updated along with everything else in the package when the package auto-updates (in our case, every 90 days)... does that not happen?  Would the popup clients on each PC need to be manually updated?  I came to this site after they had upgraded from 8.2 to 8.4 so I'm not sure exactly what they did or didn't do.

Thanks,

Greg

Daniel Johns Tracker

The Popup Client does get updated when the package auto-updates.  That makes the error message puzzling.  Perhaps at some time in the past the site used (at least for some clients) a package that didn't include the auto-updater.

gschwartz Tracker

Could be.  The error log shows which computer sent the print job so maybe I can track some of them down and see if they were ever updated.

Steven English Guide

Daniel Johns,

My understanding has been that the popup client software will not update from one version to another.  Are you sure that when the uniupdater.exe runs it does not simply compare the checksums of the packages installed which in turn update the individual modules, while utilizing the SpoolQueueID to see if a local printer should be renamed or triggers a naming conflict?

If you build a package without any queues attached, and then install it on a clean system, it will install CheckModule.exe, PopupModule.exe, UninstallModule.exe (if checked in Pharos Admin), and UpdaterModule.exe (if checked in Pharos Admin) under [HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Pharos\Installed Modules].  These do not have a checksum, but rather a version number along with the revision.  The installed package simply has an initial checksum of "PharosContent" under [Pharos\Installed Packages\NameOfYourPackageHere]. 

Once the UniUpdater.exe runs, it will change this value ("PharosContent") to a checksum for future comparisons.  After running the first time, a new registry value under the updater key specifies the interval at which it should check (the default setting server side is 1 day - or 86400 seconds).  Interestingly enough, the "Last time for update manifest" value is only created/updated when the UniUpdater.exe is triggered by sending a print job through a Pharos popup printer.  Running it directly (as one might do during a maintenance window) does not result in the value being created nor updating. 

If any queues are added to a package and then installed on a workstation, in addition to the modules listed above, you will also see modules with names like "SpoolQueueName_on_PrintServerName_for_PlatformVersion" along with the driver module (e.g. "drv_Lexmarkx652de_for_x64").  These additional modules do have checksums.  From what I can tell though, the UniUpdater.exe does not itself care about the module checksums at all - only the ones on the Installed Packages.  When compared against what is in the manifest.xml file found at the registry path in the [Pharos\updater\Manifest Location] key, the updater launches the Lte version of the package which then downloads the associated platform specific modules for execution. 

None of this in and of itself would preclude the auto updater from installing an Lte package with a newer checksum that is actually of a newer version number (9.0 R2 instead of 8.4, for example), but I have been told that it is not designed to update from one version to another, rather just to update the individual packages themselves.

Can you check into the internal logic to see if anything in the UniUpdater.exe does a check on the major and minor versions before applying?  It sounds like the info I have is incomplete or inaccurate, and it should update across product releases.  I just wanted to get confirmation that this has actually been tested (an 8.4 package updates to 9.0 R2 after the package is recompiled on the print server via Pharos Admin).

Regards,
                        Steven

P.S. Correct me if I am wrong, but since "Last time for update manifest" combined with the interval value function as the determining client side factors on whether or not the updater should run, the "Last time for update manifest" entry would need to be updated to either a date far into the future (change the date, send a print job, record the binary value, push it to the clients), or the interval value could be set extraordinarily high after each execution since the interval value IS updated.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                            Daniel Johns Tracker

I'm not aware of Automatic Updater (UniUpdater.exe) doing anything special about major version differences or checking version numbers.  I can't find anything in the internal logic that would do that; but it is possible that I'm missing something, as that is one part of Uniprint with which I'm not particularly familiar.

As far as I can tell, the Automatic Updater concerns itself only with entire packages, not with individual modules; when it causes a package to be run, I believe that that has the same effect as running the package manually.  Every package contains the Popup Module; if the package was build since the upgrade, it contains, and when it is run it will install, the new Popup Client.  (There are several things that could prevent the Automatic Updater from doing this, e.g. if you choose not to include the Automatic Updater in your packages in the first place, or if you don't rebuild your packages after upgrading.)

However, it is possible that I an mistaken about some part of this; and I am not specifically aware of any test of what the Automatic Updater does after an upgrade.

Katherine Baynton Ranger

Just a minor point in case it is relevant - once the servers have been upgraded to the new version, the packages must be rebuilt in order to be updated to include the new popup version (they are not automatically rebuilt as part of the upgrade).  In the Administrator UI they are marked as 'must rebuild' until such time as they are.

1 of 1 people found this helpful