5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 14, 2016 2:36 PM by ajohnsuw

Filtering and Sorting Beacon Data

ajohnsuw Scout

When I look at the Filter setting in the Beacon dashboard, I see Uniprint and back office as options. I looked around some of the documentation and forums and didn't see anything that answer my questions, so I apologize in advance if this is answered somewhere else and I missed it.

Is there a way to create new groups for the filter list? I'd like to be able to make groups for different program and groups by subnet. It would also be good if one printer could show up in multiple groups. For example, I would like a filter for our Managed Print program that has printers all over campus. But I would also like to see that printer in a group of the printers in a given building (which is how I networking people divide subnets).

I realize I could add a value to the location or custom fields to do this, but that's a lot of manual work. In the Device Scout setting, for example, I can load a list of IPs or add a subnet.

• Re: Filtering and Sorting Beacon Data
          bsullivan@pharos.com Navigator

Aaron, thanks for the question. The filtering settings you are looking at are for when you have the Uniprint collector deployed to your Uniprint servers, which I know you have done. The filter criteria today is not configurable and the filtering is based on a couple bits of data that are uniquely collected by the Uniprint collector. The Uniprint connector collects all the same data that the standard Beacon print scout collects plus it collects the type of funding that was used by the Uniprint user. The types of funding either funded by a cost center or funded by a purse in Uniprint. Today Beacon does not collect which cost center was used or which purse was used nor does it collect the actual dollar amount collected by Uniprint for that print event. These filters today are most useful to use when you have Beacon looking across both the back-office (facility and staff) and the student printing with Uniprint.

Current Filters:

Uniprint - just student printing

Back-office - just back office printing

University Funded - back-office printing and print using cost centers in Uniprint

Charged to Individual - funded by Uniprint purse only

Charge to University - funded by Uniprint cost center only

So, for the future we look to expand the data that comes into Beacon through the Uniprint connector to include more of the details of the cost centers used, the purse used, the actual amount of funding and cost recovery but today Uniprint reporting is still the place to get that information.

We will take your input that you would like to do additional configuration of the filtering options to make the data more relevant in Beacon. I think that is great input and value when we go to expand the Uniprint data in Beacon.

thanks Bill

Richard Post Guide

Adding actual subnets (non-class C) to the system could be more difficult than uing the data we already have.  Would allowing the filtering of the first three octets help?   Would it be helpful if the objects could be grouped by the first three parts of their IP address (assuming you are using a standard class C scheme with 255.255.255.0 as your mask) ?

Would this be useful to others ?  Speak up.  Product owners and managers are listening... 

ajohnsuw Scout

Rich,

Right now our WAN network is a mix of class b and class a private networks and a couple /16's for our public IP's. One day, I'd like to be able to look at all the printers in one building (usually two /24s; one public, one private).

If that isn't feasible, I think more than anything what I want is the ability to make custom groups for filtering. Right now we can look at "Uniprint" and "Back-office" and that works because we are only looking at one Uniprint Program and one Back-office. I have a second group of printers that are campus wide and would fall under the "Back-office" category as they. And it would be great to be able to say "show the machines from just this one program." A nice to have would be if we could limit what accounts in beacon can see which groups. We have a manager for the campus wide print back-office program that doesn't need to know what students are printing. It would be great to just upload a list of IP addresses and say "show list 1" or whatever.

Make sense?

Cal Curtice Adventurer

Hi Aaron Johnson,

There are a variety of ways to view data throughout Beacon, both using the Fleet Design Grids and the Print Analytics Explorer and I thought I would share them here in case it is helpful, though it doesn't sound like it will get you exactly what you are looking for.

The Fleet Manager area shows all of your discovered network devices and allows you to assign location, department, and other metadata information to each that intends to show their physical location. In these grids you can assign any information to these fields that will help you identify these devices later in the grid views. The available fields are: region, site, building, floor, area,sub-location 1, sub-location 2, Grid X, Grid Y, and 'custom' fields 1-4. These are essentially 13 'flex fields' to assign relevant information like you describe. You can also import these fields via a CSV file as long as that file contains both serial number and MAC Address of the devices being imported (to associate them). This can be obtained by exporting a CSV from your inventory tab, adding these metadata fields, and importing them back in. Also in these Fleet Manager grid views is a field called 'IPv4 Group' which allows you to filter and group all of your devices as per Rich Post's suggested above. I would mention that these controls are available in the context of physical location in which Fleet Manager operates. If your question is around the manual effort of assigning this information in Fleet Manager, here are some steps you could do to achieve the above:

1. Go to your inventory page and export a CSV file

2. Open in Excel and filter on IPv4 Group

3. Group Assign the fields as appropriate

4. Import the CSV file into the Device Inventory area to assign that information across all devices

Print Analytics (PA) has a similar concept of Location and Department but represents the organization structure as opposed to the physical location of a device (though they may be the same or similar). The structure you explore through in PA comes from your Directory Service or an exported file, depending on your Print Scout configuration. Once populated, you explore data based on this structure and can in fact have a device in two departments if users assigned to two different departments print to it. In other words, because organization structure is associated with the document being printed and not the device, it is valid to see the device in multiple departments.

The Uniprint Filter in the Print Analytics explorer is really a different data dimension as it allows you to look at a subset of data within the organization structure dimension.

We are planning on some level of unification of the concepts of physical and organization structures across Print Analytics and Fleet Manager. As you might imagine this is a complex matter to deliver an elegant experience. The core workflows we typically see is that when a user is in Fleet Manager, they want to find a device and being able to walk to it's physical location (to replace toner or service for example). When in Print Analytics the use case is more typically 'which departments are printing to a device' so I can understand how to change user behavior.

Apologies for the long-winded dissertation here, but wanted to provide a bit more background info as I was 100% certain if your question was referring to Print Analytics or Fleet Manager.

1 of 1 people found this helpful