26 Replies Latest reply on Mar 16, 2016 3:07 PM by Chris Axtell

Incenting Students to Print Double-sided

On a separate sustainability list server, the sustainability director at CSU-Eastbay was asking what other schools were doing to incent students to print double-sided.  So far, Georgetown has answered her question.  Anyone in the Pharos community doing something similar?  Georgetown is charging students less for a double-sided page than a single-sided page.  Happy to relay anything you are willing to share.  Hope I see many of you in New Orleans next week at Discover 2016!

• Re: Incenting Students to Print Double-sided
          Nic Meadows Ranger

A number of sites in the UK do the same. e.g. for BW A4 simplex the charge is £0.05, but for BW A4 duplex the charge is £0.04 so 8p instead 10p for 2 pages.

Part of the rational for this is that for a single sided print you are including the cost of the paper as well as toner/ink and running costs, if you print duplex, the cost of the paper has already been taken into account with the first page so the second side should be cheaper as its just ink/toner and running costs. Pharos however doesn't allow a pricing model like that so the effectively the discount has to spread over the 2 sides.

One of the issues with forcing duplex is that alot of the Universities still expect course work to be submitted printed as simplex to make it easier for the marker to read and mark, although this is becoming less of an issue as they are move to electronic submission.

Jeff Herald Guide

Nic,

Can you please elaborate on your comment: "Pharos however doesn't allow a pricing model like that so the effectively the discount has to spread over the 2 sides."

We do allow for a pricing model that will price a single-sided print at a different (higher) rate than a double-sided print.  I don't understand how it would be desirable to price the paper for the first side only.  Please elaborate if you have the time.  Thanks.

-Jeff Herald - Pharos Systems

Nic Meadows Ranger

Hi Jeff,

What i meant was that you can't set the charge as 5p for the first side of Duplex (which would be the same as a simplex page) and then 3p for the second side, essentially you configure it for the total cost of a duplex page (printed on both sides) which would be 8p and divide by 2 to give you a single side duplex cost of 4p. Depending upon how you have configured the page counter to handle last page you can then charge 5p for the last simplex page if it is odd number of pages

Its only splitting hairs in reality as you still have the same job cost at the end. Its just he calculation thats different. I've spent too long hanging out with the academics at the Universities and some of them can be very pedantic

Daniel Johns Tracker

The hair-splitting descriptions of the calculation remind me of the job costing model in Uniprint 7.0, in which the costing that Nic described would be explicitly defined in the Uniprint system as £0.02 per sheet of paper + £0.03 per printed side.  I don't think anybody really wants to go back to that.

- Daniel Johns, a Uniprint developer.

Nic Meadows Ranger

Uniprint 7.0 - the happy memories!

uniprint 7.jpg

I agree, I don't want to go back to costing models in earlier versions. What I was attempting to get across was the slight difference between the physical reality of the cost and the software model. The software model will give the required end result, just done achieved slightly differently. As long as you explain the differences to the customer so that they can see it arrives at the same result, they then don't mind how the calculation is done.

Bill Kasper Guide

Nic, for us the problem is our University pricing structure can't take into account anything less than a full US1¢.  And my paper cost is about half a cent, so if I drop it a penny for the second side I am losing a half cent every click.  If I wasn't using a click-based model it wouldn't matter as much, but I am.

Nic Meadows Ranger

Bill, We've grappled with the fractions of a cent/pence issue as well. Technically the underlying SQL database is calculating and storing the costs as a money datatype which allows for 4 decimal places. We have one customer that changes £0.05 for 1 page A4 and £0.045 for a 1 side of A4 Duplex. Which gives the cost at £0.10 for 2 pages of simplex and £0.09 for 1 page (2sides) of Duplex. If the job has an odd number of pages of duplex (last page simplex) the user is charged the simplex cost for it.

The users are advised of the duplex cost to incentivise them and this certainly encourages them to print duplex. The regional settings on the computers where the Pharos components are installed are then configured to show the additional decimal places, so for helpdesk and reports the full costs can be seen, for the users the costs displayed to them are rounded.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                        Steve Lasich Adventurer

We default the printer driver to, "Print on both sides". 

Users need to incent themselves if they want to change it.

Kermit was wrong. It IS easy being green.

The duplexing printers paid for themselves.

Couldn't agree more, Steve.  This is exactly why Pharos is the only certified B Corp in the print solution space!  Sometimes, there is an awareness issue to overcome as students and staff are not really thinking about the impact of their choices and hence, my question.  Once they understand the impact on water and energy consumption just to make paper, we find that the head connects with the heart and as you say, "Users need to incent themselves if they want to change it."  We will be putting up a Sustainability Space in the community as we move forward to highlight some of these issues.

Nic Meadows Ranger

Dale, as part of a previous project for one of our customers I implemented a Webbased widget "Saver Meter" which shows the savings from using the secure release queues and all the prints that were not printed (deleted) from the system, either deleted by the users themselves or by the purge interval on the queues. This shows the savings as a % of the total volume of printing and the number of trees, CO2 and H20 saved. I know this is slightly different from incenting users to print duplex but the same sort of approach could also be taken to show/include the savings by printing duplex as apposed to simplex.

Widgets like this could easily be included as part of the Pharos Print Centre app as the data is already in the database.

Nic

Philip Blake Wayfarer

We charge $.10 per sheet.  So it is the same price to print duplex and we set duplex as the default.  A one page single sided job is $.10.  A two page duplex job is $.10 as well.  We have found most students print duplex unless they're told specifically not to by a professor or are printing flyers.

andrew Tracker

We default to simplex because we had too many customer service concerns over forcing duplex (and some equipment concerns which ended up being entirely valid, but not technically pertinent to this). We allow duplex, backside @ 1/2 the cost of the original (sort of, except for where someone got some funny ideas and imposed 3/4 cost on the second side, but I digress -- the point is, the second side of the same sheet costs less than dropping the same print to a new sheet). Marketing in various techniques are used to encourage duplex. I think word of mouth is the strongest of these marketing techniques; I don't know the technical jargon, but roughly it boils down to ((speed of rumor spread = (100billion)*(speed of light in a vacuum)+then some). I really think it's the cost incentive that works, though I suspect some folks sleep better at night just for being more green.

Kiseob(Mike) Son Scout

At UIC, we do charge as following:

BW Letter Simplex : $0.08/page

BW Letter Duplex : $0.03/page

Since Pharos charging model doesn't support per sheet, we came up with per page charging model.

In the Scenario, if you print 5 Pages

Simplex - 5 x $0.08 = $0.40 (5 Sheets)

Duplex - 5 x $0.03 = $0.15 (3 Sheets)

When you compare the price in unit of sheet,

Simplex = $0.08/sheet

Duplex = $0.06/sheet

We defaulted with Duplex in our lab with 2 cents incentive.

Student, who need simplex, can change the setting to simplex before they click print button.

Does it help and make sense?

Kiseob

Gene Mayro Tracker

At Temple, when we launched Uniprint 10 years ago, we always charged one price per sheet, regardless of whether it was simplex or duplex. In the fall of 2008, as part of a major university sustainability initiative, we set our lab images to duplex by default. We started the process by asking, in our annual spring computer lab survey, how students would feel if we were to set duplex as the default finishing option, for both sustainability and saving students money. Over 80% said they would support it. In the Fall of that year, we set the default printing option for the central IT labs for black and white printing to duplex, and we encouraged the other departments that use our Uniprint system to do the same. We launched a campaign (email, digital signage, signs by printers) telling students that black and white print jobs would be duplexed by default, and provided instructions online on how to change to simplex if needed. The campaign referenced the survey results. Those departments that did not set their images to duplex by default were calling us by October because students complained that they were not.

Interestingly, students did not want their color laser jobs to be duplexed by default. We did that the first year and got a lot of negative feedback, so since then, color laser has been simplex by default.

We charge $0.07/sheet for black and white printing, and $0.50/sheet for color printing.

Zhiyong Tian Adventurer

At Ohio U, the default is duplex and B&W campus wide for many years (but hard to deliver this default for MAC user). Currently we charge 20% more for simplex and 8 times more for color for student printing. we definitely encourage everybody go green. Thanks.

John Siegel Guide

Hi Zhiyong,

What kinds of problems were you having with the MAC's defaulting to duplex? We have a large number of MACs and we've been able to get them to work without any issues.

~John

Bill Kasper Guide

John, I can't speak for Zhiyong, but unless we edit our PPDs (which is a pain when the come out with new ones to have to redo) we find it impossible to do aught but create a print preset to make for BW default (let alone double-sided).

And those then don't necessarily default.

Best,

Bill

Scott Olswold Guide

Bill,

Absolutely correct. The PPD will almost always come preconfigured to generate a color, simplex job, so it requires editing to do so. My recommendation is to set up a reference MacOS X system (using VMWare Fusion or similar). "Bare metal" PPD editing is fun (for me anyway, but I'm a nerd), but I wouldn't push it on everybody. You can use CUPS (http://localhost:631) to modify the default behavior of the PPD (including installing options) and, when saved, it is stored in /etc/cups/ppd (you'll need to use the "Go" menu item from Finder or your favorite Terminal app to get there). Then, when building the package, drop the modified PPD into the Resource folder and reference that PPD when building out the queue using lpadmin.

-Scott

John Siegel Guide

Hi Bill,

Thanks Scott!  That's what our MAC team does to hold the duplex settings in our lab environments.

~John

Chris Axtell Navigator

When we first deployed Uniprint years ago we made the decision that duplex printing would be default behavior. Patrons have the option to select simplex but they need to make it a conscience decision. It took a few years for some faculty to accept duplex printing for assignments; however, we're long past that.

As for our pricing model we currently charge the following for letter size print jobs:

• B&W Duplex (default): $0.13 (1 sheet, 2 pages)
                                                        • B&W Simplex: $0.12 (1 sheet, 1 page)
                                                        • Color Duplex: $0.38 (1 sheet, 2 pages)
                                                        • Color Simplex: $0.26 (1 sheet, 1 page)

We went with this pricing strategy since we operate on a cost recovery model. The cost difference for a duplex print job between page 1 and page 2 is the toner, and a negligible amount of wear/tear on the printer itself. The other costs associated in the model are addressed by the total number of pages printed, and are not influenced if the output is simplex vs. duplex.

For our Mac's it's a straight forward printer preferences setting no PPD editing required. We have a two step process.

1. During our workstation deployment install the desired device drivers (in our case Apple's HP printer drivers).
                                                        2. Run a bash script that:
                                                          • Creates the printer object(s)
                                                          • Creates global (saves in /Library/Preferences) default preference printer presets for each printer.
                                                          • If we're really feeling zealous we can also create a LaunchAgent that creates the same printer presets within each user account's preference folder (~/Library/Preferences). Although we usually find the global printer presets to be sufficient.

We actually end up creating two sets of printer presets one for simplex and one for duplex with the duplex as default. By creating the second simplex preset it makes it very easy for the patron to select between the two output types without having to figure out which option disables the duplex printing. The nice thing is with very little modification the same general concept works with the installer packages we provide to our community to configure their personally owned device to print using the Pharos Popup client.

Have a great day,

Chris

Chris,

Thanks for sharing what you do on the duplex/simplex front and especially the wisdom around Macs!  Was there anything in particular that helped faculty get past the duplex printing on assignments?

Chris Axtell Navigator

Hi Dale,

Unfortunately the primary component with faculty was time. We of course promoted the resource ("green") savings (e.g. less paper, less toner, less waste, etc.) as well as actual monetary savings to the university.

Also don't underestimate the driving power of the student body. Since we adopted a "pay-to-print" model, even though we provide students with a non-accumulating print credit each semester, they became increasingly aware of how much they're spending to print and most do everything they can to keep their print cost down. Since we set duplex as default on all lab/classroom images students tend to just press the "print" button without thinking about the exact settings. As long as the output is readable on the paper very few even tend to give the whole simplex/duplex formatting a thought.

If the organization has a sustainability office (we didn't at the time) I would suggest getting them involved. Work with student government regarding adopting duplex printing as a university standard, and this is important, set a goal date to have it implemented by. Promote and market to the community what is being done and why. Make sure to emphasize why this matters to them (e.g. student's get more for their printing money, it cost less, etc.) don't just make the marketing about some idealogical "save the planet" type of campaign. While the green savings should factor into the promotional efforts it shouldn't be the sole focus. We also encouraged the adoption of digital-submission of assignments via our Learning Management System (LMS).

Have a great day,

Chris