10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 25, 2016 10:05 AM by Mark Elmore

Popup LPD issues and Windows 10

Mark Elmore Adventurer

Curious if anyone else has experienced this. User is running Windows 10 and installed the popup client.With every attempt to print the user receives this message: "Unable to contact an LPD Service on Pharos Printer Server"  I checked the user's firewall and services all of which are correct. I also checked my server services, all of which are running and correct. Restarted the secure release service on the server, no change. Any thoughts?

• Re: Popup LPD issues and Windows 10
          Steven English Guide

Mark Elmore,

Which version of Pharos are you running?  The error you are seeing there would imply that the local machine is unable to reach up to the server to deliver the print job to successfully complete the submission thereof.  What print server value is in the registry for that particular queue?  Does it resolve?  If so, can you telnet to the server on port 515 using the value in the registry?

Regards,

Steven

Mark Elmore Adventurer

Steven,

We are running Uniprint 9.0. The port for 9.0 should be 28203 correct?

Mark Elmore

Campus-Wide Printing Services

Southern Illinois University

P: 618.453.4027

E: mark@siu.edu

Steven English Guide

Mark Elmore,

I should probably take the time to update my internal documentation of the anatomy/lifespan of a print job and maybe even diagram it and post it here, but in the meantime, I'll try to hit the highlights.

Once the print job on the local machine hits the Pharos popup port, it reaches out to the print server as per the registry values on port 28203 to get the popup questions that should be asked and presents them if there are any that may be answered.  After answers are entered or the system confirms that there are no popup questions to ask, the job is then delivered to the Pharos print server (as per the values in the workstation registry) via LPR/LPD on port 515.  Based on the error message in your case, it would seem that this is the point at which the print job is failing.  The job should then be processed by Pharos and a notification ("Informed Print") is sent back downstream to the workstation via the submitting IP address on port 28201.  Your site may not have any notifications whether via scripted or built-in (Pharos Admin > Output Management > Uniprint Global Settings).

Workstation to server on port 28203 (popups)

Workstation to server on port 515 (print job delivery)

Server to workstation on port 28201 (notifications/cost acceptance)

Regards,

Steven

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                Scott Olswold Guide

Mark,

Good morning. If you install the Telnet Client (<rant>Why this is just not installed as a TCP/IP app by default is simply mind-boggling.</rant>) can you TELNET pharos.server.your.domain 515? To me, it sounds like either it can't reach the server socket at all, or there is a timeout occurring. You could also install a packet sniffer on the print server and filter for inbound packets from the Win10 client IP address.

Regards,

Scott

Mark Elmore Adventurer

Scott,

Everything as far as the installation is correct. However what appears to be happening in this case, is Bitdefender 2016 is blocking communication between the popup and my server. Turning off the Bitdefender firewall proved to resolve the issues.

I'm curious if anyone else has had issues with Bitdefender 2016 blocking communication. I added an exception to the firewall to allow the popup client however this proves to be useless as it still blocks the communication between the popup client and my server.

Mark Elmore

Campus-Wide Printing Services

Southern Illinois University

P: 618.453.4027

E: mark@siu.edu

Paul LaFollette Guide

Now that I think about it (didn't remember it until now), we saw a Windows 10 system giving the error described in the OP and had to disable Bitdefender in order to get the Popup to work.  We were unable to prevent Bitdefender from interfering.

I've seen Bitdefender (not just 2016 version) block stuff despite Firewall settings or exceptions made in Bitdefender's settings.   For that reason (plus a few very annoying and completely incorrect false detects) I've stopped using Bitdefender on my personal systems.  I haven't convinced our Server group and they use it on our servers ... but we haven't (yet) had a problem at the servers.

I guess I'm saying I haven't had a problem (yet) with Bitdefender (Endpoint variation) at the servers I work with, but I've had enough trouble with the "personal" variation of Bitdefender on personal computers to now avoid using it ... for the time being.

- Paul L.

Willis Dair Tracker

Bingo!  I first saw this behavior with Bitdefender 2015.  I have also seen this behavior with Avast.  The anti-virus software is blocking LPR/LPD communications.  We asked the student if they paid for the software or ran the freebie version.  They ran the freebie version, so we uninstalled it and installed the university site-licensed software.

I detected this by creating an LPR printer to the Pharos print server.  It timed-out.

Willis Dair

Santa Clara University

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                              Paul LaFollette Guide

That's a good troubleshooting step!  (Making an LPR print and thus testing if the LPR/LPD communication is being blocked.)

Thanks for the reminder.

Mark Elmore Adventurer

In this particular case the user paid for Bitdefender. I have found a configuration for the Bitdefender firewall to allow the popup client to communicate with our print server. In the event someone else runs into a similar issue below are the steps to setup the configuration.

1. Go to 'Modules' >> 'Firewall' >> 'Adapters'

2. Find either 'Ethernet' or 'Wifi' and change the following settings:

-Network Type: Trusted

-Stealth Mode: Off

-Generic: On

3. Click on 'Network Exceptions'. It is a blue link located under settings.

4. In the box that pops up enter the following information:

-Address: IP address of print server (has to be IP address only, no host names)

-Adapter: Trusted

-Permission: Allow

5. Click the blue '+' box to add the network exception.

Note: Bitdefender does not allow you to select individual services to allow through the firewall. And aside from the default protocols they have you cannot specify any others or individual ports. At best you can select any port when adding a program to allow but as we have seen in this case the 'any' port option isn't really 'any' port. If you have notifications for users turned on at your site, you still won't be able to see those with this configuration.

2 of 2 people found this helpful