7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 12, 2016 5:29 PM by John Siegel

Omega PS200 terminals locking up

gschwartz Tracker

Has anyone else who uses the Omega PS200 terminals had any issues with them locking up or freezing?  We've had this problem with several.  First they will start by showing a red LED instead of a green one, but everything will still work fine.  Then, a couple weeks or maybe a month later, they will start locking up at random, sometimes once a day, sometimes more.  It seems to be a power issue with the extension DC power cables that are supplied with the loom, because if you plug the terminal directly into the main power cable (which has a different connector head) the issues go away.

This has happened on 4 terminals so far, all of which work fine plugged into the power adapter itself rather than the extended cord.  Firmware makes no difference; it's happened on terminals running 1.0.1 rev. 10955 as well as rev. 11518.

Has anyone else seen this issue?

Greg

• Re: Omega PS200 terminals locking up
          John Siegel Guide

Hi Greg,

We had a few do that and we ended up plugging them directly into the wall vs.using a power strip. I've seen that with printers as well, where the printer has issues unless plugged directly into the wall. Has your facilities management team done a power assessment at the location. Anything else plugged in besides the Omega?

We've never figured out exactly why the devices didn't like the power strip, but since it was occurring in specific locations my guess is it was related to the local outlet\power source. It may be an issue with the wire gauge causing too much resistance so the power to the device isn't adequate. Any chance you are bypassing the "brick" on the Pharos power cord? That's going to contain a step down transformer, so it's possible that the power output is above the devices rating. That can cause all kinds of weird behavior.

Is this occurring at multiple locations or only one location, meaning it could be a faulty loom. Is the one connector polarized vs. the other? One grounded three prong vs. non grounded two prong?

Regards,

John

gschwartz Tracker

Hi John Siegel,

It has happened to 3 or 4 of the units so far, different areas but all in the same building.  None of the PS200's were plugged into power strips; they are all conencted through the DC power cable right into the wall outlet.  I can't remember if any of the adapters were three-prong, but the one I have here with me is two-prong.

I think you're probably right about the resistance, though I admit I don't have much electrical knowledge at that level.  The PS200's (at least the ones we have here) have an AC adapter that plugs into the wall, with a DC power cable going to the Omega terminal.  However, the DC cable doesn't connect directly to the Omega -- it plugs into an extension DC cable (looks the same except for a different style connector on the end) which plugs into the Omega.

These extension DC cables seem to be causing the problem.  When any of the PS200's have had issues, I've removed the extension DC cables and plugged the terminal into the DC cable coming directly from the adapter, and the issue disappears.

John Siegel Guide

Hi Greg,

I agree it sounds like the DC cables are the problem. Any idea what they are rated at? It could be that the cables are attenuating enough of the voltage\amperage to drop it down below the amount needed to run the Omega. I'm not sure what the tolerances are for the Omegas, but if it's close, it may be that over time you hit a surge\power drop and it falls below the minimal power requirements for the Omega to function and viola, frozen device.

Any chance the DC cables are defective? Have you tried using them with any other devices? Did you save the receipt? 

~John

gschwartz Tracker

I need to do more testing with the cables, hopefully I'll have some time soon.  When I first started having this issue a few months ago I tried swapping cables, and I think the results were intermittent -- sometimes they worked with other Omegas, sometimes not -- but I can't remember for sure.  If I have a chance to test them and find out, I'll post the results here.  In the mean time, all of the PS200's are working fine off of the original power cable.

gschwartz Tracker

The power coming from the wall doesn't seem to be causing any problems.  I've tested these units at various outlets, even in other buildings, and have seen the same results, with the variation being whether the unit was plugged into the extension DC cable or straight into the adapter cable.