12 Replies Latest reply on Feb 10, 2016 4:11 PM by Katherine Baynton

Direct printing with no popup

jmorgan48@ivytech.edu Wayfarer

How do I set up a direct printing package with no popup?  I've set the option "Must use popup client" to "No" on the queue but I still get a popup while printing.  What I need is a direct printing queue that will submit the print job automatically with no user intervention.

• Re: Direct printing with no popup
          Steven English Guide

Josh Morgan,

Whether or not the queue is held (SecureRelease Here) or direct is controlled at the Print Group level.  Make sure that the queue you have set up is connected to a print group that is configured as direct (which means the system will automatically try to bill the owner of the job - in your case the logged in user account since popups are not going to be involved).  With regard to the popups themselves, you will want to change the Popup Question group on the queue itself to <none>.  Don't forget the change control!

Regards,

Steven

3 of 3 people found this helpful

I found under Output Management/Uniprint Global settings.  I have cost information and cost acceptance checked.  If I uncheck those the print will go through without popup.  The "Must use popup" setting doesn't appear to matter.  I can't really uncheck this because we only need the popup to not appear for a few clients.

Steven English Guide

Josh Morgan,

That is likely a result of two things.  First, you must already have Pharos Popups/Notify installed on the machine (which is fine), but you likely also have Cost Acceptance enabled under Output Management > Uniprint Global Settings.  The cost acceptance prompt you are seeing is not a popup question in the technical sense as it is not a question that gets asked prior to the print job being submitted, but rather it is a notification (hence Pharos Popups & Notify) that is sent downstream from the server to the workstation.  Since the Cost Acceptance option of Informed Print is a global one, it will affect all or your queues.  The way around this is to implement scripts with queue exemptions, or to have multiple print servers (one for held queues that utilizes the cost acceptance script, and another for direct print that does not have the script applied).

With your current configuration, if Pharos Popups/Notify are NOT installed on the machine when you try to submit a print, you will not be able to receive the cost acceptance/confirmation, and after 20 seconds or so you will see an alert logged in Pharos Admin (System > Alerts) indicating that the job was deleted because the user did not accept the cost.  In summary, you will either need to disable cost acceptance and just go with informed print under Uniprint Global Settings, or you will need to look at getting some scripts in place and potentially splitting out your direct and held queues to different servers if you are not going to have a queue exemption list/check in the script.

Regards,

Steven

P.S.  There are some handy scripts on the CD under tools\plugins\scripts.  The print end job script seems desirable to have for direct printing so that the user can get some feedback if something goes wrong, but it does require that popups/notify to be installed (which is usually good since it is useful to inform them that their job was successfuly received, or that something failed).  If you don't need or want any kind of popup/notification, you can always just print to the shared queue and bypass Pharos print package installers all together (more commonly used when print objects are configured through AD policies)

Scripts of Interest:

JobInformation - Notify User of Job Cost.txt

PrintEndJob - Notify User.txt

I think printing directly to the queue is a good idea and may work.  When I try it I don't get any popups but the print doesn't come out.  I get an "Insufficient user permissions" in transactions.  The "everyone" group does have print access under the security tab.

Steven English Guide

Josh Morgan,

That error message is one of the possible reasons that Pharos would reject a job.  If you have any kind of authentication on the Print server bank's logon event I could see that popping up.  Older versions of Pharos allowed for setting permissions along the path to the job coming out, but that could be easily diagnosed by simply creating a brand new queue in Pharos Admin.  Based on you stating earlier that the "Must Use Popup Client" value was set to No and assuming that you set the Question Group to <None> (though that part probably would not matter), then if you have no scripts on the print server bank's logon event, and the queue is a new one, you would probably need to talk to Pharos or your reseller for further support.

Regards,

Steven

Steven English Guide

Josh Morgan,

Out of curiosity, what details are listed under the General, Error Description, and Service sections of the "insufficient permissions" error?

Regards,

Steven

I'm sorry, when I did this print I had mistakenly had "must use popup" set to yes.  I went ahead and changed that back to no and I'm getting a "User declined Cost Acceptance" message.  Under alerts it says "Print job 'Test Page' canceled because unable to send cost information to user."  Error code 29078

Steven English Guide

Josh Morgan,

That jives with the second paragraph in my post above (Dec 17, 2015 9:37 AM... With your current configuration...) about having cost acceptance enabled.  You have to disable it if you are not going to have popups installed or if you do not want any user interaction.  You can reinstate it at a per server level via scripts (see previous post above) or if you only have one server, then you would need to add to the script and specify which queues are exempt from requiring cost acceptance.  This method is typically needed if students are printing remotely over a VPN.

Regards,

Steven

Yadin Flammer Navigator

Maybe I'm not understanding something but it sounds like you want pop ups for some users (if only for cost info and not auth) but not for others.  In that case the simple thing before doing complex scripts or additional servers like Steve said is simply add another queue for the printer.  We do this all the time so that from domain systems the user can just print with no pop up, but from a personal machine they are prompted for identity.  We install one package on one system type and let them install the other for laptops.

Other than that, yes the original trick is you have to set the question group to none in addition to setting must use popups to no, something I have never understood the reasoning for frankly.  I have never seen a case where setting them in opposition creates anything but problems.

Steven English Guide

Yadin Flammer,

As long as he is willing to move away from cost acceptance, adding a queue would be just fine  The problem is that he is currently using cost acceptance which is a global setting (applies to every queue on every server).  if the user does not click the accept button for any reason - even because the firewall blocked it or they don't have popups installed to receive the job - the system will delete the job because no one clicked on the acceptance.

If the cost acceptance is not important, and a move to the passive cost information box is an option, thenI failed to inquire about an important detail.

If that is not the case and my original understlanding/inference is correct, in order to have cost acceptance on some queues but not others you will need a script, and you will either need exemptions added to that script to determine which queues receive the cost acceptance notifications, or you will need at least two print servers (one for cost confirmed queues, and one without).

Thanks for for pointing out the potentially obvious. :-)

Regards,

Steven

Yadin Flammer Navigator

Ah yes, cost acceptance, not just cost notification.  So there WAS something I wasn't understanding, glad I opened with that disclaimer 

We never used acceptance, so I overlooked that, but now that you say it I recall it being limiting like that.  Perhaps this is an opportunity to log a feature enhancement request?  Not sure of the demand for it, but if cost acceptance could be per queue just like the popup requirements/ settings it would certainly add flexibility.

For Josh then it seems a choice between complexity of implementation, or turning off acceptance and just putting up notice of the cost.  Hopefully he's got all the info he needs now.

Cheers!

Yadin

Katherine Baynton Ranger

The 'CD image' provides a sample JobInformation script which can be used to override the standard Cost Acceptance behavior, if that's any help.