11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 31, 2016 12:08 PM by Timothy Grzeczka

Mag Stripe Login Question

Timothy Grzeczka Pioneer

We are finally getting a new card system on campus that has magnetic stripe and I'm testing with one of our HP 4555s. Ideally, I would like to get to a point where a user can walk up to a copier, swipe their card, and they are logged in. I have the copier reading the card but it asks for a password still. I have the Release Station in Pharos Admin set to not Ask for Password at login. Any advice or ideas?

Thanks!

• Re: Mag Stripe Login Question
          John Siegel Guide

Hi Tim,

I assume by "do not Ask for Password at login" you are referring to the Print Release Station Settings, but what I believe you'll need to do is set up a logon script to validate the card ID against an online directory. You'll need to have the appropriate logon plugin installed and configured for the bank you are using. There are a number of sample scripts on the Pharos Disk image in \tools\plugins\scripts

Regards,

John

logon.jpg

Timothy Grzeczka Pioneer

Thanks! I found the script on the media and added it to my scripts list (just dumped it in there; didn't make any changes). I then added that script to a new bank and have it associated with the Release Station. Is there anything else I need to do?

John Siegel Guide

Try testing it, see what you get back from the system. You'll need to configure your card reader to use the proper line etc. to capture the data. If you are using MagTek readers they have a program on their website you can download to program\test the readers. In our case the PRS units are set to read line one. We only need the data on line one.

You'll also need to make sure you set up the card xml file in the gateway so it matches the account info on the back end. The card config is through the Pharos Odyssey Gateway in my case, located in the program files(x86)\Pharos\Bin\Gateway\Odyssey. Your system may use a different gateway but the config file titled:

(Your Gateway)BillingGateway.msc     should be it.

in my case it's: OdysseyBilliingGateway.msc

~John

card reader config.jpg

card config.jpg

Timothy Grzeczka Pioneer

Sorry to reply to such an old thread but I'm finally getting back to this. We do not have Odyssey on campus so I can't find a place to add the card layout or get the card reader option in my release stations.

Chris Axtell Navigator

Hi Timothy,

What service runs your card system? The ability to do a single sign-on is there as long as the value encoded on the card can be associated with a specific person. The exact method is dependent upon your infrastructure. If you can provide some more details someone can probably provide some helpful suggestions.

Have a great day,

Chris

Timothy Grzeczka Pioneer

At the present time, we do not have another system beyond Active Directory that ties into Pharos. We are WAY behind on the card front. Users who need Prox for access control (residence hall, security, etc.) have a Prox card. All other users just have a plastic card with a bar code (no mag or prox). We are going to start re-badging this Spring with a new card that is mag and prox for all.

We have Odyssey for our food service but there is no short term plan to link Pharos to it. All Pharos transactions are handled within Pharos itself. Do you have to have an external card processor for Pharos to work in this manner? Is there a way to load the mag information directly into Pharos?

Nic Meadows Pioneer

Hi Tim,

Yes you can load the card data directly into Pharos. It can be done as part of a userload using the Pharos userload exe or wizard in Pharos Admin. You'll need a file with the users and the cardnumbers in the correct format - see the Pharos help >> Techincal Information >> Batch Load Technical Information. If you are just updating the existing Pharos users, you won't need all the fields populated. I think the minimum is logonID, billing option, accesslevel and cardID

e.g. one use perline

,,<logon id>,<billing option>,,,<access level>,,,,,,<card ID>,,,,,,

Run it on a couple of dummy accounts first so that you can verify the fields you want are correctly updated and the others are left alone.

As with all these things, make sure you have a valid back up of the DB that you can restore BEFORE you run it against all your users.

Timothy Grzeczka Pioneer

Thanks for the help everyone, I have the card reader working with a single track card now I'm trying to work with the MagTek card reader programming. Our new cards will have three tracks and I want to get it to only read track 2. MagTek's site was not very helpful in doing this. I downloaded a reader config program but I'm lost from that point.

John Siegel Guide

Hi Tim,

In our environment, we have no efficient way to update the Pharos system via a CSV file, automated propagation, etc. We didn't have a need to store users in the Pharos DB until we started using Mobileprint. Our answer was to collaborate on a script with Pharos that adds a user to the Pharos DB (info is pulled from the LDAP, or AD) when they swipe their card at any Print Release Station for the first time. It also auto corrects when a user gets a card with a new number, or the number is correct but the user name changes. If you are switching to a mag card system across the board this might be an option. In our case we were using it to add email accounts to the user info in the Pharos DB, but you can populate it however you like based on available user info on the queried DB.

~John

Chris Axtell Navigator

Hi Tim,

We also worked with Pharos to develop a login script that auto adds/updates patrons on demand as they use the solution. We took that an additional step further and developed a PowerShell script that pulls any user objects modified within the last 48 hours in our AD environment exports that into a CSV file in the format that Pharos expects. This CSV file is then copied over to the Pharos principal server which has several scheduled tasks running:

• DB schedule task to address any username changes within the CSV file and updates the Pharos DB accordingly.
                              • Windows schedule task that runs the Pharos Import tool to import the CSV file.
                              • DB schedule tasks that queries our card system and updates the card id as encoded on the ID card magnetic strip.

Between the Pharos login script, and our automated provisioning processes this allows us to configure the Pharos environment to work with Single Sign-on (SSO) from a card swipe at either Pharos Stations or Multi Function Devices with the Pharos iMFP software. We've elected at this time to not support non-University email address so we can easily pre-populate the allowed email addresses for our patrons so we can disable the need for them to "register" their email address with Pharos which simplifies the use of the MobilePrint / Print Center.

The following discussion also has lots of good information on setting up SSO which might be of use in your endeavors.

Card Swipe Login to Release Stations

Have a great day,

Chris

John Siegel Guide

Hi Chris,

I like that idea. We also chose to only support university related emails. Until such time as users are able to add\remove emails on their own (i.e. via the Pharos Print center) we will continue to limit what emails are supported.

~John