7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 21, 2015 3:51 PM by John Siegel

Export/import Computer groups

Adam Demeter Scout

Is it possible to export the list of computer groups from Uniprint 8.4 to 9.0? We do not use Uniprint for print management, only for sign-on. Also, is there a link to download 9.0 R2? I believe I only have 9.0. Thanks.

• Re: Export/import Computer groups
          Steven English Guide

Adam Demeter,

When upgrading from from one version of Uniprint to the next, the computer /group/type information you are looking for will stay intact. What goal are you wanting to accomplish with the export?  Pharos Reports will also contain details about the groups -which can easily be exported - if you are just wanting to use that info outside of Pharos.

Regards,

Steven

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              Adam Demeter Scout

I guess I left out the, "building a new server to replace an aging Server 2003 system". From the forums I read, it doesn't appear to be a common thing to export from an old database and import data into a new database.

Steven English Guide

Adam Demeter,

In that case, I would ask what you mean by import/export.  Due to time saved - anywhere from an hour up to multiple days - I think I have only built a system from scratch for a customer 1 or maybe two times apart from a system failure where they had no functional backups (which puts it somewhere between 0.5% and 1.5% of the installs I've done).  All that said, unless there is a strong reason to avoid the migration of the entire database (as opposed to exporting from one and importing into another) I would recommend using the migration utility on the "CD" image.

Regards,

Steven

Katherine Baynton Ranger

Adam, I would suggest you take a look at the Server Migration Tool which is designed for migrating an install on an old server to a current install on a new server - it migrates the database from the old server to the new server and then upgrades the database to the current version, allowing you to create a replacement server which you put in in place of the old one.  The Server Migration Tool and related documentation is available on the install CD.  I suggest you either contact Pharos Support or your reseller (if you have one) for the install CD image.  Ah - I see now that Steven has also suggested this.

Richard Post Guide

The only thing I did not see in these responses is the migration or copy of the print queues and drivers from the old server to the new.  Again, it is a question of how many queues and drivers to implement vs just recreating them.  I have done this from Windows 2003/32bit server to a newer 64 bit OS, but that is especially tricky as you must have both the 32 and 64 bit drivers for all queues and drivers that you plan to migrate.  Good luck and happy printing...

Adam Demeter :  I have sent you the link to the Uniprint 9.0 R2 software in your private email as we don't post the links on the forum.

John Siegel Guide

Personally I prefer to rebuild the system from scratch, that way I get rid of any devices, queues, or locations that no longer exist, and\or have changed info, i.e. new location name, device name, etc.

~John