5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2015 10:29 AM by John Siegel Branched from an earlier discussion.

"Free print" and using MyPrintCenter to release a job

David Alexander Scout

We have a related issue with "Free Print", that I am curious if anyone else has been able to fix.  This mostly happens when someone tries to use MyPrintCenter to release a job.

The printer isn't able to release the job, and the user receives a "free print" error message.  This error message doesn't make any sense because the user will never be able to release the print job.

It seems like disabling "Free Printing" and giving a more meaningful error message would be the best approach, but we have not figure out the best Pharos configuration to achieve this.

• Re: "Free print" and using MyPrintCenter to release a job
          Steven English Guide

David Alexander,

The "Retry Free" is configurable in Pharos Administrator > System > System Settings > Printing (at the bottom of the list).  Pressing F1 pulls up the help and will let you know the following details about the three options.  These are available as of a hotfix in Uniprint 8.4.  Essentially, if the transfer of the print job to the printer fails (this is after a successful SNMP check - presuming Online State Check is enabled), Pharos will relist the job as free since it knows the job has already been billed.

• Relist as Free Print - This
            is the default behavior. Failed print jobs will reappear in the user’s job list
            (on Release Stations or Print Center) as normal and jobs will be marked as [Free
            Print] with zero cost. Jobs will not be available at the Printed Jobs
            context.
          • Hold - Failed print jobs
            will reappear in the Printed Jobs context in Pharos Administrator and can
            be released by an administrator. It will not be available at Release Stations or
            the Pharos Print Center. The user will not be charged a second time.
          • Relist - Failed print jobs
            will reappear in the user’s job list (on Release Stations or the Pharos Print
            Center) as normal and the user will be charged again.

This allows the end user to release the job again - perhaps at a different printer - without requiring staff intervention.  MobilePrint jobs are currently only released via LPR, and it has been my experience that LPR seems to be less reliable (especially with certain devices) than RAW printing on 9100.  My understanding is that this is really an issue of the LPD server implementation in the device itself, but when it is problematic, it can still be frustrating regardless of which component is at fault.

In the end, if EVERY SINGLE job is faulting, you might want to verify that the MP server (presuming the jobs are MobilePrint jobs) is able to communicate with the print devices directly on port 515 (check both firewall and security).  If Uniprint jobs but all of them still fail, I would retrace which print server is responsible for delivery of the job to the device, and verify that there are not any communication issues or security issue (IP whitelist at the device level, for example).  This topic would probably be best addressed in a separate (new) thread.

Regards,

Steven

P.S.  Lindsay Lamb - Can this be split/moved to a new discussion thread?

David Alexander Scout

All of our Library printers are configured identically, and we only have two queues (black/white and color).  We also disable printer selection in MyPrintCenter so they can only release from the PS200.

If a student can't release their job initially, then it probably isn't going to release on any Library printer, and the "free print" error they receive doesn't make any sense because they can't actually release the job.

We see this "free print" issue most frequently with trying to release jobs from MyPrintCenter.

Steven English Guide

David Alexander,

Presuming these are MobilePrint jobs, I would strongly recommend reviewing the path between the MP server and the devices on ports 161 (SNMP) and 515 (LPR) as well as confirming that you have the devices mapped properly in MobilePrint web admin (or Print Center if you are on 9.0 R2).  First make sure that Pharos Admin has been able to successfully retrieve the make and model of all of your printers so that they will show up in the MP admin section, and then make sure that the rendering queues are assigned for each make and model.  If a device does not have a make and model listed in the Pharos Administrator, MP will try to use the rendering queue using the driver assigned to the "default" printer (the first printer listed in MP web admin).

Regards,

Steven

John Siegel Guide

Hi David,

We tried the "free print" setting and it caused a lot of confusion. I agree that it doesn't make any sense since the issue is the document itself and not whether it's relisted to print with no additional charge(s). zero X zero is still zero, meaning I can submit something without being charged as many times as it pops up, but if it's not going to print, what's the point.

We decide to go with relist and created an online refund submission process that allows the students with legitimate claims to get their card reimbursed for "lost" funds. We also have a FAQ section on our website that lists a number of potential workarounds (i.e. print as image) that helps with resolving the original problem which of course is the fact that the job won't print.

Regards,

John

Lindsay Lamb Guide

Testing out the "branching" feature on the community, and I think it worked!