2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 28, 2015 5:09 PM by Daniel MellisU

Issue with Slow print dialogue box using a print server, pharos, and os x 10.10 and 10.9

Daniel MellisU Newbie

Hi,

I have a Canon ImageRunner 5255 with an ImagePass B2 print server, and I have an issue with using this as a Pharos printer with OS X 10.9 and 10.10 which is that the system print dialogue box takes 45 seconds to load and 45 seconds to close after pressing print. I don't have this issue if I've added the printer as an ip printer.

This is at a school, UIC, and we try to have the students print from Acrobat to avoid the system dialogue box, but it is still very inconvenient.

Any help would be appreciated.

• Re: Issue with Slow print dialogue box using a print server, pharos, and os x 10.10 and 10.9
          Scott Olswold Guide

Daniel,

The EFI Driver installer (EFI is the OEM for the Canon imagePASS) includes a neat little bunch of software (wrappered under a "Harmony" label) that attempts to make a connection with the printer on the other end for things like configuration, available options, and status. Those will break in a situation where the end point is something other than the imagePASS B2. What you can attempt to do is edit the PPD and remove as many CUPS extensions as you can that allow the driver to be useful. I downloaded the B2 driver for the MacOS and installed it on my MacOS 10.9 development system. In the "US" version of the PPD file, there is this section at the very bottom:

That behavior is being driven by one, or both, of the defined *cupsFilter items. I don't know if removing one, or both, of them will affect how the overall driver functions, as I do not have an imagePASS to test. What you can do to test:

1. Install the printer as you do now.
          2. Go to /etc/cups and find the PPD file. It will be named with the name of the printer you created.
          3. Launch it in Text Editor.
          4. Add a % and space between the * and cupsFilter (example *% cupsFilter) for the first filter. Save it.
          5. Test a print job.
          6. Do the same with the other filter entry.

You can always create a new printer object using that PPD as well, by running something like this in a Terminal window:

lpadmin -p TestPrinter -o printer-is-shared=false -v lpd://PharosServer/Queue -D TestPrinter -E -P /etc/cups/PPDFileName.ppd

and testing with that. It is crucial that the actual imagePASS B2 driver be installed in addition to this PPD, as the PPD file references resources that are installed with the driver.

Let us know how it goes!

-Scott