9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 2, 2015 2:15 PM by gschwartz

Omega PS150 Remote Control

Rick Heckbert Wayfarer

I used to use the Remote Control function on our PS150s a lot.  (Omega Administator, left hand side under "System"  This feature shows you the actual screen of the Omega.  Apparently, this feature uses Java so a while ago it stopped working in Chrome but I could always fire up FireFozx and access it that way.  However, the last time i tried it it didn't work.  I clicked on the app, saw the remote window start to open, saw a giant spinning java logo and then got an error message saying "Error: access denied ("java.net.SocketPermission" "IP of Omega:59000" "connect, resolve")  I did try adding the Omega address to the security exception window in both FireFox and Java (IPAddress, IPAddress:8080, IPAddress:590000 with no luck)

Has any one been able to get Remote Control to work lately?

• Re: Omega PS150 Remote Control
          John Stewart Guide

Interestingly enough I was having trouble accessing the Xerox remote console from Firefox yesterday.  In the past it has worked.  It appears that there has been a change in browser security which is not allowing some Java applications to run any longer.

Using Chrome I also receive an error, but they provide a more detailed explanation which you can read here: Plugin-based content doesn't work on Chrome - Chrome Help

I'll ask the dev team to take a look and see if they have any recommendations for moving forward.  The interesting thing is that I'm seeing the same behavior on other remote access applications.  This isn't limited to Pharos and it's not been a change to the PS150.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              John Siegel Guide

Hi Rick,

We also have some PS150's in production. I've noticed the same behavior(s). Our work around is to use an older version of Java. In our case I have it on an older device that is only in production when we need to skirt around the new security settings. In the past there were several communities with suggestions as to how to get past\configure the Java security settings, but with the newer versions of Java the suggestions weren't working.

Regards,

John

John Stewart Guide

The official word from Chrome is that they will no longer support plugin based content.  So this feature will not work on Chrome.  Period.  Plugin-based content doesn't work on Chrome - Chrome Help

Looking at the other browsers it appears that they have all now increased the security requirements surrounding plugin based content.  That's why the current PS150 remote is no longer working with modern browsers (but works with older ones).  The solution will be to modify our plugin implementation to utilize a certificate for the plugin connection.  This will mean installing a certificate in a browser that will be used to access the remote console.  This story is now in the backlog.  We'll plan to include it in the next PS150 firmware update which will come when the next changes to OpenSSL need to be rolled in.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                gschwartz Tracker

We don't have any PS150's here, just PS200's, so I'm not familiar with them, but I have been having issues recently with using Sharp's software to remote control Sharp MFPs.  However, VNC Viewer is a nice workaround for that... easy setup and very easy to use.  Not sure if it would work with the PS150's, but maybe worth a shot.

John Siegel Guide

Hi Greg,

I believe VNC (or something like it) is what runs in the background on the Omega 150's to allow the remote control connection to work. The problem is with the Brower interface and Java. Newer security settings block the "remote" software from working. The Omega uses Java to run the remote system. VNC Server captures the desktop of the target computer in real time and sends it to VNC Viewer for display. Since the Omega does not have an OS desktop to connect to, I don't think VNC would work.

Regards,

John