10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 10, 2015 8:09 AM by Aaron Ging

Hostname change?  Device scout reporting old hostname

Bill Kasper Guide

We changed out a Canon iR5065 a couple months back for a Ricoh MPC5503.  The IP address stayed the same, but the hostname changed from psych-ir5065.ucsc.edu to psychfs-mpc5503.ucsc.edu.  I just confirmed the latter is listed as the hostname in the IPv4 settings on the MPC5503.

I pulled my Beacon meters on the 1st, and am now seeing that the reported Hostname in the .csv is psych-ir5065.ucsc.edu.

I looked at a couple of other devices we've swapped out with the same IP (which is our practice, since it's the device changing, not the subnet or physical location), and they still hold the old hostname.

Why is this?  Is there a way to change it so the new hostname is reported?

Thanks.

Bill

• Re: Hostname change?  Device scout reporting old hostname
          Aaron Ging Scout

Bill,

Will you please run the Device Discovery application on your Device Scout server, then verify what hostname is reported for the device in question and post the result here.  This will help us know where the hostname lookup/update is failing.

Regards,

Aaron

Bill Kasper Guide

Aaron,

Ran Device Discovery, and the hostname reported for the device (and the others that I've changed) were their original hostnames, rather than those of the new devices.  It reports the serial number and the device make/model properly, but holds on to the hostname.

Here is a screenshot.  Check IPs 128.114.27.51; that should be a hostname of anthro-mpc5503.ucsc.edu.  Interestingly, IP 128.114.10.209, one of the ones that wasn't reporting properly on Tuesday, is now blank (rather than its correct hostname of psychfs-mpc5503.ucsc.edu).

Beacon DD hostnameissue.png

Hope this helps ID the issue.  Thanks!

Bill

Aaron Ging Scout

Bill,

This outcome indicates an issue with DNS lookup from the machine hosting the Device Scout.  Please perform an NSLOOKUP from the command line for those IP addresses to see what Windows is reporting.  Hostname lookup for devices is performed using a DNS lookup from the Device Scout server.  You may need to add/remove DNS records and flush the DNS cache on the Device Scout server to resolve the issue.

Regards,

Aaron

Bill Kasper Guide

Aaron,

I performed an NSLOOKUP, and it reported the correct "psychfs-mpc5503" hostname:

nslookup10-209.jpg

I then flushed the server's DNS cache as administrator, and ran the lookup again.  Same result:

dnsflushnslookup10-209.jpg

I checked my settings on the device, made sure all SNMP settings were set to ON, and ran the Device Scout discovery again.  This time, it showed NO hostname for the devices, and a couple of other new devices.  I opened the settings so you could see how things were set to discover:

dscoutdiscsettings.jpg

If you look at the top of the IP Address list, 10.132, 10.209, 10.220, and 11.30 are all Ricoh devices, and they're the only devices not registering a hostname.  Three of the Ricohs are the 03-series MPC, one (10.220) is from the 01-series.

Thanks.

Aaron Ging Scout

Bill,

Thanks for your response.  I would like to get some logs from you to help diagnose the issue.

Please:

• Change the logging settings to include verbose in the Device Scout Configuration application.
                          • Clear out the big list of IP addresses in the Discovery app and just enter the problem ones and scan those only (which is safe, it is just a transient change and only affects the manual scans while that app is open).
                          • Run the discovery
                          • Zip up the logs directory (%ProgramData%\PharosSystems\DeviceScout\Diagnostics) and send it to me - aging@pharos.com

Thanks for your help with this.

Aaron

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                              Bill Kasper Guide

Aaron, the logs are being sent under separate cover (actually, Google won't let me send the too-big file), processed in the order you requested.

Here's what it showed, after re-discovery of just five devices:

UCSC5devicesDStest.jpg

So, it looks like it worked, at least for the devices selected.  However, I purposely did not select our Anthro device that's mis-reporting, to see if that would show incorrectly...and it does (I won't attach the image).

Would that mean for any device I change out I'll have to delete everything, search the changed-out IP, and then search for all again (say, when I'm getting my monthly meters)?

Thanks.

Bill

Aaron Ging Scout

Bill,

Thanks for the logs.

I see exactly what you confirmed via your screenshot, which is that the hostnames are now resolving correctly:

{

"Hostname": "psychfs-mpc5503.ucsc.edu",

"IPAddress": "128.114.10.209",

}

Going back through the logs I see a series of these:

[2015/09/08 09:14:52.671 P1DF8 D001 T01B e AgentDiscovery] [HostnameResolver] (ResolveIPAddressToHostname) The hostname 'psychfs-mpc5503.ucsc.edu' resolved back to the IP address '' which is different from the supplied IP address '128.114.10.209'. Hostname will be discarded.

This shows the problem was not the reverse lookup to host, but rather the forward lookup testing that host resolved back to the original IP.

The best practice for replacing a device would be to:

• make sure that any DNS records for the replaced device are removed.
                                  • a new DNS record is created for the new device.
                                  • DNS cache is flushed on the Device Scout server before a scan

It looks like your next scheduled device discovery is set for Sunday.  I expect that your new hostnames will show up in the web console on Monday.

Regards,

Aaron

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                        John Siegel Guide

Hi Bill,

As I recall, this was a known issue in the Beacon Beta. In our environment, the host name tends to follow around the IP, so after a device change, it was wrong until networking changed the info. I gave up trying to have the system automate the host name capture and used friendly names added manually. We chose not to go forward with Beacon, so that may have changed since the Beta.

~John