3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2015 2:07 PM by Bill Kasper

Print Center 1.7 - issues, queries, feature requests

Bill Kasper Guide

Again, just starting a thorough exploration of Print Center, and some things arose during install and after.  I don't know if any of these things were addressed in the upgrade to Print Center 2.0 in Pharos 9R2.

1.  Personal funds are always showing as the default funding type, even though very few of our users use personal funds.  We use third-party charging for 99% of our jobs, and I'd love to have the most frequently used, or any of their third-party charging lines show as default, with personal funds as an option to show first.  Pharos developers, is anything like that in the pipeline?

2.  I can't get rid of the damn "This Connection is Untrusted" Firefox 40.0/Mac OSX 10.10.3 message.  In the IIS manager on the principal server I have three certificates, all active.  The last listed was created by Pharos just this week to try to resolve the issue:  WMSvc-CPPHAROS, pharos ssl certificate, and sha1cert.  Where should I look, what should I do, how should I solve the issue?  I can't release Print Center to my customers until that's fixed, because I don't want them to ever see the "This Connection is Untrusted" spalsh screen.

3.  Is there a way, in the web files, to take the "Keep me logged in" checkbox off of the login screen?  If not, consider that a feature request.  Our IT folk don't like (due to people's ignorance about the logout process) that checkbox.

4.  Print jobs shown in the Activity screen of Print Center all show how many pages were printed, plus other print attributes as appropriate.  Why don't scans show any attributes?  Even though we don't charge for scans, the number of pages scanned would be helpful.  Feature request, please.

5.  While I recognize the funds report shown to the Administrator is meant to show PayPal transactions, having a secondary tab with Kiosk transactions (and appropriate fields) would be INCREDIBLY helpful.  Consider this a feature request.

6.  We are not going to start off with using direct print release through the Print button on the user's Job List.  One of the reasons is it lists all printers (it's all or none, as has been discussed), and then by "device name" as seen in Administrator (as well as Make and Model).  Our device names were never designed for public consumption, and they don't mean anything to our customers.  Is there a way, or is there planned to be one, where the list pointer can be made to another field in the Devices interface of Administrator, that would be unique to the Device and yet be something understandable to the customer?  For example, a customer seeing "s011_FMe_Ricoh_5502A" would have no clue this is our MPC5502A in the Physics Department, Interdisciplinary Sciences Building, Rm. 232.  If we were ever to go to direct print release, we'd have to have it show *something* else.  Has anyone managed a workaround for this?

7.  On a related note, most people use the same printer most of the time, and usually not more than three or four (certainly not for direct printing).  Has there been any thought given to setting the "Select a printer" list to find the most recent printers used automatically, and offer a search for other printers (again, plain text printer naming would go a long way to help people looking for other printers in a building)?  That behavior is already invoked on the "Payment Method" list.  Feature request; if it's being considered, excellent.

That's about it (ENOUGH!!) for now.   Thanks for reading.

Bill

• Re: Print Center 1.7 - issues, queries, feature requests
          Katherine Baynton Ranger

Hi Bill

I can't provide comments on everything, but here are some for some of your points (by point number) for now:

2. ‘This connection is untrusted’. Unless I’ve misunderstood the specifics of your issue, this message is a standard message indicating that the end user’s browser does not recognise the ‘signer’ of the certificate being served up for the website on your IIS server. As with any website being served to end users, the only way to avoid this ‘untrusted’ message is to have a certificate for your server signed by a recognised (trusted) Certificate Authority – such as GoDaddy or Comodo or Verisign (now part of Symantec) or similar.  Browsers require a way to confirm that the server providing the web page is in fact the server that the user requested in the URL in order to not show the trust warning. Browsers ‘trust’ certain Certificate Authorities and so certificates signed by these authorities are recognised by browsers as being able to confirm the server identity.  Pharos-signed certificates are suitable for securing communications between devices such as Omegas or iMFPs and Pharos Servers because the Omegas etc have a Pharos ‘client’ certificate installed on them which can be paired with the Pharos-signed certificate served up from the server to complete the circle of trust.  The Print Center is installed with a self-signed certificate, but this is only to get the services up and running without compromising security or requiring security be disabled to configure and test. To resolve this you will need to create a certificate request for the web server your users connect to and send it to a Certificate Authority for signing.  It should then be reimported and bound to the https binding for the Default Website on your server.

3.  Removing the 'Keep me logged in' checkbox.  While I am not familiar with the details of how exactly to do this, it should be possible to hide this by editing the index.htm file in the pharos install\PrintCenter\WebApp folder.  (Any edits will be lost on upgrade.) 

6. Listing of devices by name or something else?  If you fill in the Description field of the device record in Administrator, the description will also show as part of the information for each device when listing devices.  While it is not currently possible for the name to be removed from the display, hopefully having the description field would at least help with user understanding (assuming you fill this in with something which indicates to the user where the device is located).  The description field should also be searchable by the user, so they could search by room number, building name, etc.

7. Listing users’ previously used devices.  This should actually work for you already.  Every time a user prints a job, a record is added into the database with the device they printed to (if a record for that is not already there).  This means that when a user logs in to the Print Center, their recently used devices should be listed and the user can search for others if they have not recently used the device they want.   The list is regularly culled so if they don’t print to a particular device for a few days it will stop being offered in the user’s list.  The only time a full list of devices should be shown is when the user first logs on without having done any recent printing.

I hope these are helpful for starters.

Cheers

Katherine

• Re: Print Center 1.7 - issues, queries, feature requests
            Rojaa Matlakunta Navigator

Hi Bill,

Most of them were answered by Katherine already.

1. Sorry there is nothing in pipeline, but it will be considered and will add to backlog for prioritization.

3. Please find the following folder "WebApp"

• C:\Program Files\Pharos\PrintCenter\WebApp
            • Edit index.html file (take a copy of file just in case)
            • Find following and comment them as mentioned below:

<!-- <input type="checkbox" id="input-login-rememberme" name="input-login-rememberme" />

<label for="input-login-rememberme" class="remember-me-label">Keep me logged in</label> -->

I will add this item to backlog for customization.

4.Looks like it is a bug. It is behaving same for both scan and fax transactions. Will add to backlog.

5. Certainly.

Regards

Rojaa