13 Replies Latest reply on Nov 17, 2016 1:10 PM by Richard Smith Jr

Print Center - uploading issue

Bill Kasper Guide

So I am exploring Print Center to write up use instructions for our customers, and had the fortune to have a Linux user contact me wanting to use our Secure Release printing...which is only possible (as far as I know) through Print Center. [If anyone has a usable popup that would allow users to get to our Secure Release system without having to use the same username they log into their Linux/*NIX computers with, PLEASE let me know .]

I gave him instructions, told him to make a .pdf and use the upload feature, then try to release it at the device.  His response:

"I gave it a shot; the upload system seems to work fine, although the print preview had slightly distorted text.  The program listed the price as $0.18, which is the price for a color even though it was set to black and white (not that I care about such a trivial amount, but I figured I'd mention it).  The printer let me log in, and knew about the job, but when I asked it to print it, nothing happened.  I tried a couple times just in case, and each time the job reappeared when I logged in, and the job was now tagged as "[Free Print]", but it still could not actually print.  The web interface lists the job as "Printing Failed.  No other information available."  Hopefully that is useful information."

Aside from the wrong charging (which I have to look into), has anyone else seen this behavior with an uploaded pdf through Print Center?

Thanks.

Bill

• Re: Print Center - uploading issue
          Steven English Guide

Good Evening Bill,

i am sitting on a olane so this will be limited in usefulness, but to answer your questions...  It is possible to print directly from Linux machines into Pharos. CUPS printing allows the username to be set on the job so that it matches the one that they use to log onto the release station with. For this to function the queues on the print servers cannot be configured to require popups. If you do direct printing, I would also steer you away from submitting directly to the shared network queue on the server due to the ability for someone to submit a job as another user using CUPS.

Regarding the PDF, that doesn't sound like an issue with the PDF (perhaps it might be if the file is password protected), but sounds more like an issue with the MobilePrint server being able to deliver the job to the printer on port 515.   If you have the worker service installed in multiple locations then it might be that the randomly picked print server with the worker service on it is not on the whitelist for the printer security and so the job is getting dumped (check the printer web admin to see if it made it that far), or it could be a firewall rule or the printer not having LPD printing enabled (unlikely if it receives other MP jobs).

You might also check the print driver mapping a in the MobilePrint web admin to make sure the make and model of that device is mapped to a driver for which a rendering queue actually exists (i.e., not Microsoft PCL 6 driver).

Regards,

Steven

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            Steven English Guide

On the CUPS printing, I'll be back in the office next week and can dig up my old instructions one of my guys put together a few years back. Just let me know if you are interested.

Regards,

Steven

Paul LaFollette Guide

For Linux users, when creating the print connection on the Linux system, they can specify username (and password) to use for that print connection.  Would that be an acceptable alternative?  It's the method we have our Linux users use.   If you're interested, I can send you the step by step instructions.

Thanks,

- Paul L.

Clayton Bollmann Adventurer

Hello Paul and/or Steven,

I'd be interested in any Linux/Pharos configuration documentation you can share.

Many thanks!

Clayton

Steven English Guide

Clayton,

The attached document is actually a first draft I had one of my guys draw up from several years back.  Hopefully the instructions there are useful and accurate.  I have not tested them personally, and cannot make any guarantees.  The goal of course is to be able to send the print job to the shared Windows print queue so that the owner of the job matches the username in Pharos that they are going to type into the Release Station, Omega, iMFP, etc... (or even direct queues although that would probably be a bad idea since there is no actual authentication occurring here).

Also, a little bit of googling let me find these instructions for connecting to Windows printers using Samba.  I do not know if these steps will result in the print jobs showing up in Pharos with the desired owner name, but there are resources out there.

Linux Wireless Printing*

As a final recommendation, it is certainly possible to have them print to the same queues as everyone else, but you might also consider having separate queues setup in Pharos so that you can give them friendly names and just keep the workflow separate.  Since queue names are normally never visible to the end user, it is not uncommon for them to be intentionally generic or, on the other end of the spectrum, overly specific.

Regards,

Steven

*Edit: The link I googled is one that Paul Lafollette is actually using.  See his comments below regarding confirmation that it works and the limitations that it has (all jobs sent using that connection belong to the same user regardless of who is logged in).

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                          Bill Kasper Guide

I am finally returning to this after some massive timesinks from other issues here on campus.

Thanks Steven and Paul for the answers above.  Paul, I've sent you a flock of messages, but the crux of them is the link here is dead, and I'd still love to see the instructions you mention.

Steven, if my queue name for secure printing is "Ricoh_Secure_Printing", I assume that's the queue name I'd use in CUPS as the Connection on the Add Printer screen?  i.e., lpd://PharosLogonID@PharosPrintServerIP/Ricoh_Secure_Printing ?

And I assume that when they go to any iMFP they can log in with their PharosLoginID, authenticate/pay, and retrieve their print job from the device?

Thanks.  And my apologies for shelving this; I do appreciate your attention and responses.

Bill

Steven English Guide

Bill Kasper,

It has been quite a while for me, but that does sound correct.  It is the shared name of the queue that is visible if you browse \\servername.  As a side note, MobilePrint 2.2 was just released and when combined with Service Pack 4 for Uniprint 9.0 R2, the Secure Release Service will now deliver the jobs to the printers which means you are no longer locked in to port 515, and new deployments where the printers are locked down with ACLs and firewalls rules should benefit from not needing to adjust them when adding MobilePrint as was potentially required in the past (adding the MP server to the whitelist/ACL).

Regards,

Steven

Bill Kasper Guide

Steven, going with that gives a "Bad device-uri" message from one user.

Our secure print server is a second print server for us (our first is for direct printing, and that's on our principal server).  The Ricoh_Secure_Printing is the queue name and the print group name on the secure print server.

We're using Uniprint 9 with whatever the latest release of MP is for that.  Not planning on going to 9 R2 any time soon.

All of my devices for release are set up on LPR/515.  Will the Raw/Raw Queue settings in the document you sent conflict with that?  All of my devices are set up to allow secure print release.

I am NOT a Linux/Unix guy.  So any basic help you can give from here would be hugely helpful!

Thanks.

Bill

Richard Smith Jr Scout

We wrote a couple shell scripts for our Linux users who were not as comfortable setting up the printers themselves through CUPS and to assist with some special cases with our card swipe system. It focuses around using lpadmin - here is the idea:

echo Please enter your Network ID:

read puser

lpadmin -o printer-is-shared=false -p "CWPS-Color-$puser-Printer" -D "CWPS-Color-$puser-Printer" -v lpd://$puser@itcsc-cwps.ad.siu.edu/CWPS_Color_Queue -P /home/bin/CWPS/Dell_5130cdn.ppd -E

You can add more than one lpadmin (we do) to setup each printer queue.

We add another script before hand to move the PPD file for our printer to the /home/bin/CWPS folder to ensure the printer setup can be completed without error.

You can see our instruction set for CUPS/etc. at http://cwps.siu.edu/instructions/linux.php.    Hope this helps,

Richard

Paul LaFollette Guide

Clayton,

Here is a link to the instructions we give our students who have Linux systems.  I haven't (yet) met a Linux system this didn't work on.

http://www.byui.edu/information-technology/help-categories/wireless-printing/linux-wireless-printing

At the step where the user inputs their campus username and password (and tells it to remember it) is where the username tagged to the print jobs is specified.  Works very well with our Pharos system.

Thanks,

- Paul L.

EDIT: Since I posted this, the web pages have changed and the link is dead.  So... I've attached a PDF copy of what used to be that link.  Refer to the PDF.  Someday I'll finish updating a more robust/detailed version that is less site specific.  Also, leave the DOMAIN (work workgroup) out of the path to the print queue and (if you've typed the path correctly) don't bother with the "Browse" step. Instead use the "Verify" button to get the prompt for credentials and after it's told you the queue is accessible, THEN enter credentials in the set credentials field in the pattern of "DOMAIN/username" (without quotes).  This will work faster/smoother than the steps in the attached PDF.

2 of 2 people found this helpful