5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 4, 2015 10:15 AM by Erik Arnesen

SR25 never getting past a blinking NTWK light

Erik Arnesen Adventurer

SR25

Has an IP address, but not connecting to the Sentry Base (flashing light). 

The printer light is solid

The SRVR light will flicker at first, but then will never come back on

The SR25.zip thumb drive shows no logs.  The thumb drive is unlocked, so it can be written to. It was almost like it never read the file. 

Server

Last update: KB3087985 (Everything worked after this was installed.)

Blueprint Admin: 5.1.8321

Sentry Base: 1.0.1.13020

Services: All running

Restart did not correct issue

Network

Switch Ports: Allow for multiple MACs

There is no firewall between the printer and server

Printer in correct VLAN

I have been able to reset the SR25 to factory defaults and have been able to access the web page.  When I tried to complete the configuration from there I ended up in the place.  The only difference of course is that I was able to see the following error message: Configuration was successful. BASE server is 'j2k8-3.vmdomain.local:9072'. SR25 is now rebooting and this service is disabled.

Then the status is the same as before with the Network flashing, the printer light solid, and the server off.  I know that the "j2k8-3" server is from Pharos.  But, why wouldn't it pick up the config from my SR25.zip file?

Thoughts?

• Re: SR25 never getting past a blinking NTWK light
          John Stewart Guide

The log files are written to the USB thumb drive when the USB thumb drive is inserted into the SR25.  So try the following:

1. Plug the USB thumb drive into a laptop and remove everything but SR25.ZIP
          2. Power on the SR25
          3. Insert the thumb drive into the SR25
          4. Watch the lights on the USB thumb drive and wait for some flashing
          5. Unplug the USB thumb drive
          6. Plug the USB thumb drive into a laptop and look for log files.

The log files will only be written if the SR25 sees the SR25.ZIP file on the thumb drive and validates its signature.  If it does not see the SR25.ZIP file as valid then it will not write any log files.  So at this point, if you have log files on the thumb drive, we can take a look and see what is going on.  If you do NOT have log files then there is something about the SR25.ZIP file that the SR25 is not liking.

The SR25.ZIP file is keyed.  If you manually change it in any way it will be made invalid.  Only take the SR25.ZIP file from the base and place it on the thumb drive.  Never modify any of the SR25.ZIP contents.

Erik Arnesen Adventurer

I have already done those steps.  Also, this is a SR25.zip that was working.  I only replaced the zip file while troubleshooting.  What is confusing is the lack of log files.  Even the txt file does not show up, which led me to believe that I may have "locked" the thumb drive, but that was not the case.  I am trying a new thumb drive today with a new sr25 and new download of the zip file.  I will let you know how it goes.  Thanks for the feedback John.

John Stewart Guide

The log files are only written to the USB if the SR25 sees the SR25.ZIP file as valid.  So the fact that we're not seeing log files is pointing in that direction.  Trying a different USB drive and a different SR25 are great next steps.  Let us know how it works out.

tcampbell@pharos.com Navigator

Hello Erik,

The way in which an SR25 unit writes its log files has changed a bit over time (i.e. firmware version).  Very early SR25 firmware did not write a file at all.  Later firmware versions write a file, but perhaps not when you expect it to be written.  The most recent firmware versions write log files to USB every few seconds, which greatly helps to minimize confusion.

Since you are not seeing a log file being written to the unit, please try this:

1.  Start with a clean (i.e. reset) SR25 unit.

2.  Insert the USB stick with SR25.zip  file.  Wait until the LEDs settle in to the pattern you are used to seeing.

3.  Remove the USB stick and then reinsert it.  *(This is the key for older firmware versions.  The logs are written on re-insertion of the USB stick.)

4.  Wait a few minutes, remove the USB stick and inspect for log files.

Just out of curiosity, how long ago did you receive that SR25 unit?

Regards,

Tim.