7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 6, 2015 5:19 PM by Steven English

Bank selection for Direct Printing

Paul LaFollette Guide

Uniprint 8.4 - Correct me if I'm wrong.

There are a number of Banks available to choose from for configuring your Secure Release and Mobile Print setups, however for Direct Printing everything functions on whatever Bank you have selected in your Server Configuration, service Detail, Bank.  Did I get that right?

Is there any chance of being able to have different banks selected for different Direct Printing queues?  This would be especially helpful in the reporting section, by being able to easily report according to Bank.

Thanks,

- Paul L.

• Re: Bank selection for Direct Printing
          Steven English Guide

Good Afternoon Paul LaFollette,

I am not aware of any mechanism for allowing different banks for different queues without having different print servers.  You can divide your queues out across different print servers to provide delineation of bank names amongst your queues, though this is clearly not practical if you are trying to break things down for every single queue as opposed to groupings of queues.  Depending on what you are trying to accomplish, scripts can be implemented to perform logic based decisions off of the queue name or a number of other useful criteria.  Do you have a sample report (or the name of it) that you can show to indicate what you need/want to be different?

Regards,

Steven

Paul LaFollette Guide

We use Direct Printing quite a lot.  Our Direct Printing queues far out-number our Secure Release queues.

Printer Summary by Bank is the report.  By specifying different Banks, it could be easier for billing Groups/Departments.   Doing it through User Groups and Queue names can be cumbersome because Users may be moved from one Department to another (and Uniprint doesn’t know that), while print queues for various departments can be setup in a variety of locations, so if queues can be logically grouped according to Bank, this can make billing chores easier.

Thanks,

- Paul L.

Steven English Guide

Paul,

While beneficial in your particular situation, I don't believe this is an especially common request (breaking out the bank settings form the print server level to the each direct queue).  Pharos could comment as to whether or not this would ever be made into a reality.  Is it possible that your need could be more easily met through the development of either a custom report, or more easily through the use of 3rd Party Charging if the direct queues are used by staff and faculty?  Third party charging (aka departmental chargeback) allows for the use of accounting codes that persist regardless of which printer they are released to which might allow for more flexible usage of the devices and/or more accurate chargeback.  Users can be given permission to print to more than one cost center, and restrictions can be put in place (if desired) to prevent anyone from getting too crazy with cost of printing.

As they are, Pharos Reports features the ability to export the raw data, which could easily be opened in Excel and bundled into reports and the like.  Of course, this method makes multiple assumptions but it might get you what you need.  Out of curiosity, when you mentioned "Doing it though the User Groups and Queue names...", I am interested to know what you are reporting on by queue name.  Or is the queue name and printer name essentially the same and the report is actually going off of the printer name?

Regards,

Steven