5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 11, 2015 11:24 AM by bdickens@pharos.com

Pharos Printers printing an extra page with one line of gibberish

Colleen Keenan Adventurer

We have the issues where our printers will print out jobs with an extra

page with just one line of gibberish on it. Any thoughts?

Thank you,

Colleen

--

Colleen Keenan

Client Systems Engineer

Smith College- Information Technology

Northampton, Ma 01063

(413)585-4995

• Re: Pharos Printers printing an extra page with one line of gibberish
          nbartolotti@pharos.com Tracker

This could mean the print job data is either incomplete or corrupt or the printer doesn't understand the print data it is receiving. When this happens the printer switches modes from interpreting the stream as drawing or formatting commands to interpreting the stream as "printable text" and simply draws the ASCII representation of the bytes on the page.

For example, if a command in a print stream is <ESC>*m-t25l25r25b25 it might tell the printer the margins for the document are 25mm from each edge.  If the stream is corrupted or the printer doesn't interpret the stream correctly it may literally print <ESC>*m-t25l25r25b25 on the paper.  It's worth noting that not all bytes in the data stream have a printable representation that you are familiar with.  This is the reason the gibberish looks like this: >AW}~⌂Çüéâäà壥₧ƒá╟╚╔╩╦╠═╥▄▌▐▀αß and so on.

Colleen Keenan Adventurer

Thanks Nick,

So is there something I can do to prevent this from happening? I'm getting reports of it happening often, I'm sorry I do not have any real data for you.

Thank you,

Colleen

nbartolotti@pharos.com Tracker

Hi Colleen,

My previous response was a possible reason for the problem, it could be something else for example, the LPR client pushing the print data stream to the printer might add junk at the end or truncate the stream early.  Alternately this could also be an issue on the printer itself.  A FW upgrade might solve the issue.  It's really tough to say without additional troubleshooting to identify root cause.  Here's something you can try

Print a similar job using the printer driver you are currently using but instead of printing to the queue, print to file.

Note where the file is created.

Manually send this file to the printer using a means other than Pharos (like a 3rd party LPR client or directly over port 9100 or plug the printer to a computer over USB and copy the file directly to the USB port) or if the printer has a web interface and a means of choosing a print job, use that to pull the file from the client computer.

If the file prints correctly then the print data seems to be correct and we need to look into the transport.

If the file does not print correctly then the print data seems to be corrupt and we need to look at the driver.

ddarling@paychex.com Wayfarer

We've had this issue many times and it seems to be related to the drivers on a client device. By removing all traces of the offending, and related drivers from the OS including the connections references in the registry, printing will resume 100% of the time.

MS also has a spooler update for Windows 7 that corrects certain conditions. It's referenced as a fix for virtual machines, but MS says it's really for all Windows 7. Sorry, don't recall the ID

bdickens@pharos.com Scout

I don't see your current Pharos version mentioned but if it is Pharos 9.0 then you want to make certain that the latest hotfix for the Print Server service is installed. The hotfix readme text doesn't call out this issue specifically but I fixed a similar problem by completing this update for a customer recently. They had not run the PharosSecureRelease.msi after copying it into the Pharos\Bin folder on the server.