8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 19, 2015 7:37 PM by brad

Pharos 9 on a new server, pointing to a current database

Adam Demeter Scout

We are in the process of migrating old Server 2003 servers to new systems. Currently we are using Pharos 8.4, and we need to install Pharos 9.0 on a new server (not an upgraded 2003 server), and point it to a current SQL database (being used by 8.4). When installing Pharos 9.0 on the new server, there does not appear to be any way to point the new setup to the existing SQL instance (the Pharos database resides in a SQL cluster). We are only using Pharos SignUp, with no print management, so there are no printers to be migrated. Any help would be most appreciated. Step-by-step procedure would also be appreciated as I inherited this project from someone else, and I have no idea what I am doing.

Thanks.

Adam

• Re: Pharos 9.0 on a new server, pointing to a current database
          Scott Perkins Wayfarer

Adam,

To my knowledge, what you're asking for can't be done since I believe the databases would have different structures for the two versions.  If they were the same version, you could rename the old database, create a new database upon install and then restore the old database to the new one.

Scott

Jeff Geller Guide

Hi Adam,

There is a tool in the Uniprint CD Image called the ServerMigrationTool.exe DatabaseMigrationTool.exe located in the "...\MainCD\tools\utils\ServerMigrationTools" directory.  There is a readme.html file with details instructions and information.

Simply put you install the new Uniprint 9.0 system then use the ServerMigrationTool.exe which will copy the existing database to the new SQL Server and upgrade it.   Let me know if this helps.

Regards,

Jeff Geller

Pharos Technical Support

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                Adam Demeter Scout

Jeff,

Thanks for the reply. However, I do not see the ServerMigrationTool.exe you are mentioning. I see DatabaseMigrationTool.exe and NameSyncTool.exe. Can I assume you meant the DatabaseMigrationTool.exe? And if that is the case, non of the switches in that utility prompt for the location of the current remote SQL database. The other tool, NameSyncTool.exe mentions the location of a SQL server, server name and instance, but not the name of the database I want to use. Does Pharos know what it is looking for on the SQL server to attach itself to? If so, then I would need to hide one of the 2 Pharos databases on the SQL server (I have the production one, and a recovered one for testing). Thanks

Jeff Geller Guide

Hi Adam,

My fault, I typed it so fast I got the executable name the same as the folder the tool lives in.  The tool would be run on the newly installed Uniprint server and the switches you provide are that of the old machine.  The tool looks for a database name that is in the registry of the newly installed server.  As the default database name is "pharos" there shouldn't be a problem as long as your recovered one for testing is not called "pharos".

Let me know if that helps.

Regards,

Jeff Geller

Pharos Technical Support

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                        Richard Post Guide

This is great.  It addresses all the customers that want to build a fresh installation of Pharos on a fresh new OS, but want to keep their setup and transactions.

For most customers, using Pharos Uniprint for print management, they would also need to migrate all the print queues and drivers or rebuild them with all the same names.  The Windows Printer Management Utility can export all the print queues and drivers to a file, which can then be imported onto the new server.  Here is a step by step article with pictures on how to do this

We should also look into if Jeff Herald, our Product Manager for Uniprint, thinks this would be useful in getting into the product documentation.  I think it would be valuable information to many of our customers.

Also, Pharos Uniprint 9.0R2 (which includes the SignUp software) was released in the beginning of July and has already about 20 customers upgraded or installed by the end of July.  This is ramping up to be the most successful full version releases to date.

Disclaimer : Always, make a backup before you make any changes to a production server.  It is highly recommended to do these things during a scheduled maintenance window.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                    • Re: Pharos 9 on a new server, pointing to a current database
                      Adam Demeter Scout

Jeff,

I am still having trouble with this migration. While looking at the DatabaseMigrationTool (DMT for short) application and its functions, it doesn't appear to let me point the new server to an existing database. Since our database does not reside on the same server as the Pharos install, and the database is not named the default name of "pharos", how do I proceed? Below, I layed out our current Pharos setup, and how I want to proceed. Your thoughts are appreciated.

Current:

Windows Server 2003 running Uniprint 8.4

Database location and name: Server:Triad Instance:OVOPS DB name: pharos0

New:

Windows Server 2008 R2 running Uniprint 9.0

Database location and name: Server:Triad Instance:OVOPS DB name: pharos0

So the question is: How do I get the new server to see and work with the existing database? Maybe I am missing something in the DMT? Should I use the NameSyncTool in conjunction with this?