7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 31, 2015 10:01 AM by Steven English

Command line install options, uniprint 9

vinmansbrew Wayfarer

I need to do a silent install for uniprint 9. -quiet allows the install to take place, however I would like to also specify a couple parameters. I want to set it as default and duplex printing.

Are there command hooks I can add in to do this?

If this is better done in the registry, what is the key location? It needs to be for all users as these are public lab machines.

Thanks

• Re: Command line install options, uniprint 9
          Katherine Baynton Ranger

Hi Jon.

I assume you are installing the popup client.  If so, the defaults can usually be set on the server's Windows printer object for the Queue included in the Popup package.  Do this under Printing Defaults - don't use Printing Preferences as that won't take.  Then in Administrator, in the Queues context, set the 'Copy Printer Settings' value to Yes.  Build (or rebuild) the package to incorporate this change before running the silent install of the package.

I hope this helps.

Katherine

Katherine Baynton Ranger

Actually I should clarify that my suggestion above is for setting the default settings for the printer object being installed, but not for setting the printer as the default printer to use on the workstation.

vinmansbrew Wayfarer

So, I make the change on the printer object itself, then basically build a new installer?

As for setting default, I have a script I can plant that will do that upon log in.

Well, this might not be an option. Things may not be set up right, but I have a bunch of printer objects for different buildings. These all then link into 1 primary printer object. I can change all the others, but can't change the primary. I can change the preferences, but not defaults. I would probably have to wipe everything out and rebuild. I don't have time for that right now, so I'll just have to do things by hand for now.

Jason Pelletier Tracker

You could actually still do this but you'll have to do a little more work and perhaps purchase a copy of something like WinZip Self-Extractor. You can have Pharos create the printer package for the building/device and then write a script that sets the parameters, either using PowerShell or VBScript (assuming Windows here...the same can be done with OS X since that's how we do it).. Then you can write a quick 3-4 line batch file which will first run the Pharos printer package installer and then run the vb/ps script and then exit. Zip all items up, use WinZip to create a self-extracint executable which runs the internal batch file upon unzipping and let it go. It seems like a lot but once you do it a couple of times it makes perfect sense and is quite easy. WinZip, or others, also allows you to bundle in license text, basic instructions and more so it comes in quite handy in other scenarios as well.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                          Steven English Guide

Pharos also has the custom modules features which allows you to bundle an additional installer into the print package.  This could be used to specify a default printer, run a registry key to set the print server address to a CNAME, or a number of other things (including setting printer properties that do not copy over even when the "copy printer settings" is set to yes - as sometimes happens with print processors on HP's UPD) . Here is a simple command line to set the default printer that can be included in a batch file for the custom module.

Command Line Printer Control

RUNDLL32 PRINTUI.DLL,PrintUIEntry /y /n "printer_name"

For more details on building custom modules... How do I apply a registry key (to set up custom Popup registry values for example) to the Popup Client Package when it installs?

Regards,

Steven

vinmansbrew Wayfarer

Setting as default is no problem. I found the old script I had for that, which is what you posted.

The trouble is setting duplex. Oh well, figure it out when I have more time.

Steven English Guide

Jon,

Are you looking to enable duplex printing or set the default to duplex printing?  If the former, are you sure that the drive you selected has the duplex feature (or if a universal style driver, has the printer object been configured as having a duplexer)?  Like Katherine said, setting the default behavior to duplex is something that requires configuring down inside the printing defaults under the advanced tab of the printer object.  To be thorough and avoid any confusion if someone take a quick glance at the configuration, I normally make sure that the Preferences under the General tab are configured to match up with the configuration/defaults set in Printing Defaults under the Advanced tab.  My recollection is that one of those sections sets the behavior for the logged in user and the other sets the behavior for all accounts that get created in the future.  I am not sure if it overrides the settings for other accounts that already have logged into the system and possibly customized their own preferences already.

To save time, I normally suggest that you install the package on a single workstation, then play with the driver configuration on that workstation until you get the behavior just as you like it.  You then would configure the spool queue on the server to be an identical match to the settings you implemented on the client.  As long as the "Copy Printer Settings" option is set to yes as Katherine mentioned, once you rebuild the package, it should lay those options down on a clean system without you having to make additional manual adjustments.

Regards,

Steven